Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to take my 2 y/o hedgie Morrison to the vet because I noticed that he was tilting his head to the right, which I read could be caused by an inner ear infection. My veterinarian checked him out and gave me an oral antibiotic to give him for the next couple weeks for the infection, but she also mentioned that he could be having issues because he is calcium deficient. She also told me that when she took him to the back to examine him he seemed to tremor, which I have never observed him do. She was unsure if he was doing it because he was scared (they were shining flashlights in his ears and he was in a strange place so I'm guessing thats it) or because he was severely deficient in calcium. Now I am incredibly worried that I haven't been providing my little guy with the proper nutrition. He eats Earthborn Holistic Feline Vantage cat food for his daily meals and this is supplemented with meal worms a few times a week. I've tried some fruits and veggies, but he is pretty picky. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have never heard of hedgehogs having calcium deficiencies, but that definitely doesn't mean it's not possible! The calcium percentage in the food you feed is not lower than normal, in fact it's actually on the higher end for an adult cat food. I think that if the amount of calcium in cat food was not enough for hedgehogs then we would all know to give supplements, right?

I do know that calcium is essential for many bodily functions, so a deficiency could cause his behaviour. It just seems unlikely. If he's never shook in front of you I find it hard to believe that it could be anything but fear that the vet was seeing. The infection seems much more likely.

The food you are feeding is good, but I would recommend adding another kibble to make it a mix. That way if it's discontinued or you run out of one, there's another option. Try to get a food with a different protein source and from a different brand incase of a recall. That's really the only suggestion that I have. Here is the best list of recommended brands, I highly advise taking a look.
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/12-diet-nutrition/139826-updated-may-2016-recommended-dry-cat-food-list.html

The mealworms are good too, and it's very common that hedgehogs refuse their fruit and veggies. Neither of mine have ever liked them. I think that you are providing him with perfectly fine nutrition, don't worry!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well hello there! I could sense the word "nutrition" from across the planet and I came running.

Did your vet do the blood test for calcium? If not I would really recommend it so you know for sure. You wouldn't want to increase it without needing to.

Take a look at this guide and this guide.

What I would recommend, since Morrison's calcium is so scary low, would be to try to buy some of these dead, juicy crickets and sprinkle some of this calcium supplement or any other similar calcium supplement (for reptiles is great, you don't need it with Vitamin D3 though) on top of 10-20 crickets every night with his meal. Depending on how many he'll eat, of course.

You can also sprinkle it on any other insect but it sticks really well on the canned crickets.

If he doesn't like canned crickets, canned mealworms (same company, "can 'o' worms") live crickets, live mealworms, or any other insects, you can also sprinkle it on fruit. Does he like banana? That's my hedgie's favorite.

To get the right amount, take your food item or items, put them in a small bag (I use a little sandwich bag or the bag from live crickets) add a shake or two of powder, shake the bag to coat the food, and then feed the food and discard any powder left in the bag.

That should increase his calcium to a safe level. I'd do that for a month and then have the test done again at the vet. Once you get it back up again, you can try an entirely different diet plan, or just add the powder once or twice a week.

Let me know if that makes sense and helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts