Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about switching to liners instead of aspen bedding. Just have a few questions.

1. What kind of fabric do you use?
2. Do you put paper towels down under the wheel to catch any poop/pee or just let the liners catch it?
3. Do you replace the liners after they get dirty or wash them?
4. If you wash them, how often?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want my hedgie to be as comfortable as possible so I'm trying to get all the facts. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
1. Fleece
2. You can use a paper towel under the wheel if you like, but mainly the liner catches everything
3. Just shake them off & wash them
4. I would recommend switching them out twice a week, and then washing them once a week with the rest of the things (hedgie hats, blankets etc).

Hope that answers your questions!

·
Registered
250 Posts
1. Fleece, flannel, and a medium/heavy weight cotton

2. I put two papertowls, folded in half, under the wheel

3. I replace my liners every day or every other day (because Quillbert is a messy little pig) and keep them in a separate hamper until I shake them out outside and wash them

4. I do hedgie laundry once a week using All Small and Mighty Free and Clear detergent and unscented dryer sheets. Do not use perfumed detergents or dryer sheets.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The only cost is the initial buying the fleece, then you just wash them. Unless you are counting the cost to wash them... which isn't much at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea unfortunately it costs 1.50 just for the wash in my apartment. Oh well, I'll buy a lot of liners so I can regularly replace it but still not have to wash them weekly. Thank you for your help everyone!

·
Registered
764 Posts
1. The core is fleece and the outer is heavyweight cotton
2. I have a pan with Yesterday's News. I try the paper towell once, when I was out of YN and it was just all shredded all over the cage (both hedgies)
3. Well the point is to re-used them no? I wash them
4. Once a week, I'm lucky I have cleen hedgies (and only 2 liners at the moment!)

·
Registered
250 Posts
You could wash them in your bathtub or a bucket and hang them up on a clothesline to dry if cost is an issue. But you might want to be extra diligent of shaking off the poop outside in the grass. Still, I think that if you factor in one load a week at around $3.00 to wash and dry at a laundromat plus $30 for the initial, one time cost of the fabric, that you will end up saving money in the long run when compared to buying shavings. If you estimate one load a week you will spend $12 a month on washing and drying the liners (after the initial fabric cost) plus about $5.00 a month for the detergent and dryer sheets you use. In total that's about $17 a month for the liners. How much do you spend on bedding every month? If you have a large cage (at least 2 sq. feet like recommended) that you fill 1-2 inches and change every week you can end up spending anywhere from $25-35 a month on bedding depending on where you shop and how big your cage is.

I also wanted to add that if you are going to make the liners yourself, but not sew them, I would recommend putting several layers of fleece in the cage so that you can peel off the top one as needed. Please note that if you are not going to sew them that you should only use fleece since it does not unravel and therefore won't have any fibers for little nails to get caught in. Flannel, cotton, and denim are only fabric options if the liners will be sewed and turned right side out to hide the seams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts