Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi our hedgehog has babies well we know she had one as it was outside the nest but crawled back into the nest without us touching it luckily, we have not heard any squeeking for about 5 days now, what should we do mum has turned the entrance to the nest round to the back of the cage so there is no chance that we can peek in, she had the baby 2 weeks and 3 days ago she is fine with us putting in the food and water but i dont really want to move the nest the cage is quite smelly could the baby be dead or is it normal not to hear noises, should we just leave her for another week? We dont want to upset her but are concerned about the baby

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3

This article covers the basics. You've said its been over two weeks, so it should be alright to try and get a look into the nest to see if any of the babies survived. I'll warn though as that thread says, you know the babies are alive by the chirping and squeaks, not knowing how long you are in the room with them, it could be possible you're just not around when they are awake and active, or that its come to the grim conclusion. But being its been two weeks, I'd take a look, and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If mom is taking good care of the baby, you won't hear much squeaking and unless you are around all the time, you might not hear a thing.

What does it smell like? Dead is just about impossible to miss. It could be just a dirty cage smell.

At 17 days, you can take a peak in the nest and start handling babies. If mom comes out to eat or get a treat, take a look. Start slow by only having a peak at first. The next night, pick up baby for a few seconds. If mom is okay, then increase the time you hold the baby.

Good luck. I hope the wee one is okay and mom is just being a good mom and keeping him/her well fed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys we had a look last night when mum came out and we think there are 5 babies, thanks for the advice i think we will see how mum is tonight and maybe try picking one up, they all looked healthy from what we could see eyes are not open yet, will keep you updated x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had another look there is 5 babies, i picked one of them up, its eyes were open some of the others didnt seem to have theirs open but mum did not seem too happy she ran back into the nest and just stared at us through the plastic hope she is going to be ok.
It was so exciting cant believe there is 5, not sure what colour you would call them i will try and put some pics on and then hopefully someone can help, they all look the same colour and are quiet dark..:)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Awesome, sounds like everyone is doing fine. And Mum is just being protective over the kids, depending on her personality before this, she may or may not get use to you touching them. As said, got crap knowledge on how to handle babies, but I'd say wait another 24 hours and then handle the babies again for just a little more time. You keep doing this and Mum will slowly get use to you handling them. As long as she doesn't (god forbid) eat one, she's doing good. Sounds like she's doing good, taking care of them and playing the mom role well. Congratz.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Aw, it's adorable and I bet they all are! :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
I could get diabetes looking at that picture because that baby is just too sweet!

<< Seriously I wanna tickle its little nosey. What is it with baby hedgies - actually, just hedgies in general - and being so cute?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got all five out tonight all eyes are now open, they were all licking our hands and doing that funny thing with their tongues xxxx

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
jane48 said:
Well got all five out last night all eyes are now open, they were all licking our hands and doing that funny thing with their tongues xxxx
You just handled the first baby on Saturday and said mom was not too happy. You then handled them all on Sunday. That is way too fast. If mom gets stressed, the babies are the ones that will lose. You need to take it slow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mum is fine doing really well, babies look great , just wondering when to start adding the kitten food to mums diet should i start now or wait until babies start coming out and showing an interest in the food

·
Registered
131 Posts
How do the babies lose out?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Lilysmommy said:
tracie said:
How do the babies lose out?
If Mom gets too stressed, she may attack and injure or kill the babies.
Yes and also moms can abandon babies if she gets stressed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts