Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our recently adopted hedgehog, Winnie, just had babies yesterday - much to our surprise. We peeked into the cage just to confirm that there were, in fact, babies in there. We were not prepared for this, so we did not create a welping box. We use a fleece liner at the bottom of the cage (which is 28" x 54"), so she and her hoglets are under it. My worry is that she will lose one or more of them, because there is no way to contain them. We hear them squealing, so we know they are still under the fleece, but she keeps running around like she is looking for a baby. Should we try to block her when she runs to the other side to see if there are any babies that have strayed from the others? From everything I have read, we should just stay out. We thought we saw three when we peeked yesterday. I just hope they are all ok. If anyone has advice, please.....

·
Registered
754 Posts
There is not much you can do but leave everything as is. You may try adding a "blankie" to the top and maybe she will move them under it. "Blankie" should be familiar to her.

Do not try to peek or handle until the babies are at least 10 days. Just give mom space. When did you get her from? Feel free to email me if you have other questions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
another thing is refrain from doing a big clean up of the cage. it might get a little messy, but really the only thing you should be doing is putting food and water inside.
Just one more thing to remember :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Part of the problem is that the hedgie cage is in our living room, which is a very busy area of the house, and it is the type made with cubes and coroplast. It is too big to move, so we covered it with a blanket to try to give her some privacy. We could lift the whole cage and put it downstairs where it is a bit quieter - less people traffic, but will that move disturb her? (It is kinda tricky moving it as a whole - a bit bumpy). Last night she seemed a bit frantic - running around looking for her babies, but she is much calmer this morning and I think she rounded them up. I can hear them squeaking right now.

Should I put some shredded newspaper or paper towels in there for her?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coroplast is 6" all around. They should be fine. I am more concerned that she is not in a nesting box, so the babies can wander away. But she rounded them up last night. Is it a bad idea to add some kind of nesting box now - or just let her be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would you recommend using? I could use a shoebox and cut an openong for her (high enough so the babies cant climb out). Or would something plastic be better? To move them, is it best to "block" her in the cage, and put them in with gloves or spoons? (I saw on some other posts that people used spoons to move babies). I also have a litter pan I could use - it is clean - she doesn't use it.

Is it best just to leave them alone? This is so stressful! I just want the babies to live - and she seems to be working it out on her own. My daughter said that last night when Winnie was rounding up the babies, the one was not under the blanket, so my daughter slid it over with a spoon, and Winnie seemed to acknowledge it and bring it in with her. Do you think this means he might be OK with us adding a nesting box? Do you think we should move the cage to a quiter place?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I would leave the cage where it is as she probably is used to the noises around her, but keep it covered during the day as you have been doing. Put a nesting area in the cage but don't move the babies, let her decide if she wants to move them or not. If she's happy with them under the liner then I would just leave her there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could use a litter pan that we tried for her - one of the triangular shaped pans like this: http://www.pet-shop.net/assets/images/sp62143.jpg
We had cut the front edge so it is easier for her to climb in. It is about a 1" high lip.

Or I prepared a shoe box by setting the box sideways inside the lid and I taped it from the bottom.

Or would it want to be the shoebox with lid taped on in a closed position, and a hole cut in the side she mom can go in and out?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems like the best option might just be the shoe box, no lid, turned upside down with a hole cut out in the side. Mom can go in and out, and then you can lift up and place back down easily after the babies are old enough to be handled/looked at. Easy access for you, and a secure feeling place for Mom.

I just realized that I don't know if they babies should be allowed to get in and out on their own or not. Searching on the forum for "whelping box" doesn't come up with anything. Hrm. Hopefully one of the breeders can put some input into this! In my logical mind, I would think the babies will need to be able to get in and out within two weeks time or so, as they start exporing. You also don't want to change the box, so you'd think it would need to be baby level!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am happy to report that all 3 babies are doing well - and getting BIG. Winnie has turned out to be a great mom! Because her cage is in our living room where it is very busy, she is used to all of the activity and noise, so she doesn't mind when we peek in. It is almost like she is proud to show us her accomplishments!
We tried the shoe box, but she didnt use it. Yesterday, she moved them into her igloo.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.