Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgie was eating her treats and a superworm bit her in the mouth. She squealed and spit it out then her mouth swelled up and it looks infected. We only have two exotic pet doctors in the area and neither can see her for a couple weeks. It’s crazy that I can’t get vet help and none of the emergency hospitals will care for her. What to do? She’s getting weaker and weaker by the day. She not eating.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How long ago did this happen? I would do all you can to get her into a vet. In the meantime, if she's not eating, you'll need to syringe feed her. However, I'm not an expert on syringe feeding. I believe you can use wet cat food and meat baby foods, but I would look it up some more because I'm not sure how much to give or how often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long ago did this happen? I would do all you can to get her into a vet. In the meantime, if she's not eating, you'll need to syringe feed her. However, I'm not an expert on syringe feeding. I believe you can use wet cat food and meat baby foods, but I would look it up some more because I'm not sure how much to give or how often.
It happened a couple of days ago. I tried to get her to a vet but no one would see her. I have an appointment for two weeks from now but I’m worried that she won’t make it that long.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
Small animal vets can help sometimes if they are willing, if its just infected and just need antibiotics.

You can also call your exotic vet up that you have an appoitment with and say that you think she has an infection, and she is getting weak very fast from this and she needs to be seen asap.

Is she still eating and drinking?

Also after this she may not eat superworms for a while. Or at all, just so you are prepared for it incase that happens. She may still eat them after!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small animal vets can help sometimes if they are willing, if its just infected and just need antibiotics.

You can also call your exotic vet up that you have an appoitment with and say that you think she has an infection, and she is getting weak very fast from this and she needs to be seen asap.

Is she still eating and drinking?

Also after this she may not eat superworms for a while. Or at all, just so you are prepared for it incase that happens. She may still eat them after!
I’m feeding her with a syringe, she wants to eat but is having a hard time on her own. I can’t seem to even talk to a doctor. I only get the receptionist, and they tell me 2 weeks to 1 month no exceptions. Geez, I can’t believe this BS! I thought they were supposed to treat animals like humans in an emergency... I’m very discussed. I’m just trying to find any way to help her because the professionals don’t seem to be able..
I still can’t believe this happened because of a stupid worm!!! Why did I believe all the posts that they are harmless? Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
I’m feeding her with a syringe, she wants to eat but is having a hard time on her own. I can’t seem to even talk to a doctor. I only get the receptionist, and they tell me 2 weeks to 1 month no exceptions. Geez, I can’t believe this BS! I thought they were supposed to treat animals like humans in an emergency... I’m very discussed. I’m just trying to find any way to help her because the professionals don’t seem to be able..
I still can’t believe this happened because of a stupid worm!!! Why did I believe all the posts that they are harmless? Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!
In the UK its always been said to freeze them or cut the heads off to feed live because their bites are nasty

Have you tried both of the vets?

I would, and say she was bitten by a superworm, its all swollen up, she isnt eating by herself and each day she is getting weaker, and is going down hill very fast.

Obviously you will always only get to the receptionist to start with, but saying things like this and sounding a bit frantic can help with getting seen.
Well I am going off the way it works in the UK
The thing is sometimes they will class it as an emergency and charge u more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She’s still breathing and opening her eyes. I’m hoping for something to turn completely around (HOPE). I’ve been feeding her and giving her water via syringe every few hours and supplying her cage with a supplemental oxygen tank. But she keeps getting weaker. “It’s been a rough week” She can’t even move now and started bleeding from the wound in her mouth. I don’t think she will make it through the night. I am discussed that no vet will see her. I’m going to beg a plea with them tomorrow morning if she is still alive. Unbelievable, I have money to pay them but they don’t even want to deal with it. Thank You Albuquerque! I am so so sooo discussed. I’ve called 37 vets in the area and none of them could help. Unreal! Please, don’t believe all of these idiots online about feeding your hedgie superworms, and I always gave them to her tail first, this doesn’t work either. I guess I learned the hard way. My daughter is probably going to loose her best little friend because of stupid self appointed experts bull ****!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got up a little bit ago to beg the vets to see her but she is gone. Can’t believe it! Thank you guys for your input. Going to offer my daughter to get another one. I know it’s never the same but I have to try. I’ll never give them superworms again unless their dead... I’ll miss when you walk into the room she would always run to the cage door and practically fall out of the cage because she wanted to be picked up.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
557 Posts
I am so sorry, this is unbelievable! I would call the vets that you have an appointment with and tell them that she didn't make it. This is so sad I am sorry not even the emergency vet could take her! This is terrible. I hope you can get another one!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so sorry, this is unbelievable! I would call the vets that you have an appointment with and tell them that she didn't make it. This is so sad I am sorry not even the emergency vet could take her! This is terrible. I hope you can get another one!!
Thank You Holly. It’s a sad day indeed. Been struggling all week hoping she would come out of it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry. That's awful! :'( I can't believe that not a single vet would see her. That is absolutely terrible.

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.

I had one with a prolapsed uterus last year during the middle of shut down. We did manage an emergency vet, but they could only give us pain meds and instructions on how to try to keep the tissue clean and told us she needed emergency surgery in 2-3 days time max, but they couldn't do it. I spent many hours calling every single vet, emergency hospital, etc in this state, and even started calling vets in neighboring states (even though we were being told to not travel). I was told it wasn't an emergency, 6 week out appointments for emergency surgeries, etc. It was disgusting, frustrating and heart breaking. Times have certainly changed their priorities.

Not that my story helps, but I know that frustration and have told off a few vets. Having a uterus hanging outside of your body is completely routine right?????? You did what you could and the veterinary system let you down. But please continue to share her story, warn others of the dangers when you see people feeding superworms. A lot of people don't believe us when we say don't do xyz because there is risk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have my sympathy. Lost my little guy August 26, and still feeling it. Did everything we could but he battled and won on too many infections the last one kidney failure took him. Fortunate I had a outstanding vet who took him in twice on emergency to try to help. Know how bad it feels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts