Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've seen a lot of posts regarding how to keep your hedgehog warm in a winter power outage, but none about how to keep them cool.

We have bad summer storms in my area, so we lose power some times which, of course, knocks the AC out.

The power was back on before I went to sleep, but the AC hasn't been cooling correctly since it went out. When I woke up this morning, his cage was nearly 84 degrees which I know isn't a good temperature for him. Are there ways to keep his cage cool in an event like this?

Also, he was over by his food bowl when I woke up, but then he went and curled up in a ball in the corner. I haven't had him long, so he won't let me pick him up (he's hiding behind his wheel since it's caty-cornered in his cage). He seems to be spiking up just fine and he hissed like normal. And he's responsive when I do my normal talking to him. The thermometer says it's 79 degrees now. Is he acting okay or should I worry? I think he seems fine, but, again, I'm new to this.

Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, hedgehogs typically handle hotter temperatures much better than colder temperatures. So he's probably fine. That being said, you can leave a ceramic tile in his cage for him to lay on if he wants. The tiles will stay cool until his body temperature warms it, but it will cool back down again. Aside from that, just make sure he has plenty of access to cool water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts