Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit ago, my hedgehog developed what at first the vet thought was cherry eye but then when her face swelled up, found it was abscess. After removing two teeth, she was sent home and I was told to give her 4 drops of Tobradex a day. Weeks later, her face was still swelled so I brought her back. There was still pus and he got some out. He told me to continue with the drops. Now her feces are green and really sticky, that is when she goes. He thought that maybe the drops weren't quite agreeing with her stomach but there isn't much other option for an antibiotic he said. Or something like that. He thought that when she began eating more it would get better but it hasn't. This was last friday and I can't get her in again until next week. Her face is still so swollen and she can't close her mouth. I don't know what else to do. She's barely eating and is losing a lot of weight. Some days she can barely walk, she'll fall over and be unable to get up and I think it has to do with that she's not eating enough. I don't know what to do to help her anymore. I mush up the food because she can't eat the hard cat food and altho at times she seems to eat it, I don't think she's getting enough. Well I know she isn't. If it helps any, she's 6.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am so sorry. :( I would suggest you syringe feed her. She needs food. It does not sound good for her. You could try to get another vet opinion, but I personally would help her cross. I am sure she is in pain and probably has fatty liver disease since she is not eating.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I agree with Deneen. It sounds like she has an oral tumour. I'd help her cross too. :cry: I've been there with way too many oral tumours, a couple that started out with an eye problem also.
Hugs

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have no advice except to say I'm very sorry she's suffering like this, and that you have to watch it happen. :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts