Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size should a 3 year old hedgehog be?

my hedgehog dosnt like or use his wheel is that common

are ramps in a cage bad or good?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think ramps are fine as long as they don't go to high up, because I heard that hedgehogs have bad depth perception and can fall and really hurt themselves.

As for the size, I have no idea >_>

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Size various from Hedgehog to Hedgehog, my Vera was at least a year old and was 270 grams before she got sick. I would suspect her sister Hester Sue is easily twice that size, but she's such a lovely bundle of hissing clicking popping ball of joy, I've yet to get her fat arse on the scale yet. She's probably 300+ and only 17 weeks old, and possibly pregnant with inbreed babies by her brother, cause her previous owner knew all so much about hedgehogs she kept them in the same bin.

You may have to introduce the wheel to your hedgehog, I had to train Vera on it by placing her on the wheel and then using a small box to kind of block off the bottom so she'd learn to walk on it. Some factors that might make them not use it are too long toe nails or too angled.

Ramps and Second + levels can be very bad for a hedgehog, as they have poor vision they can easily walk right off the edgle of things, such as your desk, or a second level that isn't blocked up. Ramps can be used if you cage them in, or you can use something else such as vinyl venting tube (4 inch). Below is a picture of my setup of a second level, I use the ramp to mount the tube on, and then have a thin board zip tied to the second level to create a wall. That's Hester's fat behind at the bottom, she likes to sleep in it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puffers315 said:
Size various from Hedgehog to Hedgehog, my Vera was at least a year old and was 270 grams before she got sick. I would suspect her sister Hester Sue is easily twice that size, but she's such a lovely bundle of hissing clicking popping ball of joy, I've yet to get her fat arse on the scale yet. She's probably 300+ and only 17 weeks old, and possibly pregnant with inbreed babies by her brother, cause her previous owner knew all so much about hedgehogs she kept them in the same bin.

You may have to introduce the wheel to your hedgehog, I had to train Vera on it by placing her on the wheel and then using a small box to kind of block off the bottom so she'd learn to walk on it. Some factors that might make them not use it are too long toe nails or too angled.

Ramps and Second + levels can be very bad for a hedgehog, as they have poor vision they can easily walk right off the edgle of things, such as your desk, or a second level that isn't blocked up. Ramps can be used if you cage them in, or you can use something else such as vinyl venting tube (4 inch). Below is a picture of my setup of a second level, I use the ramp to mount the tube on, and then have a thin board zip tied to the second level to create a wall. That's Hester's fat behind at the bottom, she likes to sleep in it...

thats a pretty cool cage you have going on but for now i have taken all the ramps and levels out of my cage b/c lil fuzz is having a wobbling problem right now and i didnt want him falling

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shaelikestaquitos said:
I think ramps are fine as long as they don't go to high up, because I heard that hedgehogs have bad depth perception and can fall and really hurt themselves.

thanks your hedghog pic is cute lol!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You modified your Ferret Nation nicely :) I would love to add the loft into mine one of these days, I still have mine just on the one lvl but I really think he would enjoy a second lvl :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Just a note, you only need to post a topic or question once. Don't repeat questions, as it's irritating to other users, and it's easier for you to get answers and responses all in one place.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hedgieonboard said:
You modified your Ferret Nation nicely :) I would love to add the loft into mine one of these days, I still have mine just on the one lvl but I really think he would enjoy a second lvl :)
Thanks, someone around here (at least in Cage Examples) has their cage setup in the same manor. It works nicely, her loft has her igloo and food dishes, and then she has the entire bottom area to scurry about in. At the moment though she is either sleeping in the tube or under the liner.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Puffers315 said:
Hedgieonboard said:
Thanks, someone around here (at least in Cage Examples) has their cage setup in the same manor. It works nicely, her loft has her igloo and food dishes, and then she has the entire bottom area to scurry about in. At the moment though she is either sleeping in the tube or under the liner.
That was me! Luvin_hedgies from the old HHC forum also had a similar setup I think, but with ramps instead of tubes. I'm glad it worked for you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the pet store today to look for the tubes!!! i couldnt fimd them? and i hate the ramps! my hedgehogs in the middle of failing down and wobbling right now so i took the ramps out i didn't know they could climb up the tubes that is very neat, pet stores dont have anything for hedgehogs! :(

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
They are actually vinyl dryer vent tubes, not made for pets. You can buy them in home improvement stores.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
lover_of_the_spiked1 said:
shaelikestaquitos said:

thanks your hedghog pic is cute lol!
hehe thanks :D but actually that's just my friend's hedgie that i pet-sat for around a month :p
i'm getting my own in a week or two sooo yeah :D there will be an updated pic then ;)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah, you're going to want to look probably in the bathroom section, the tubes I'm using are 4 inch vent tubes. I searched Home Depot for them but all I could find was metal which I don't think would be a good idea, I think I've seen someone with the metal type on here, would be fine as long as there are no sharp edges, but my worry would be about rusting, cause at least my hedgehog has the habit of going to the bathroom in her tubes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts