Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, Is it normal for our hedgies to have morning glories in their eyes? I gave Audrey a bath last Friday and used a tearless baby shampoo to wash her. I've noticed that since Friday, she's had morning glories on her eyes every day.

Please advise...she's not sick is she? :cry:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "morning glories" Someone else may know.

I just wanted to let you know that baby shampoo is often too smelly and too drying for our hedgehogs. Aveno unscented oatmeal bath is recommended. Also when you are bathing you shouldn't need to put soap or water on your hedgehog's face. So her eyes shouldn't react as they shouldn't be close to coming in contact with soap or water.

·
Registered
295 Posts
From "googling" the morning glory describe problem, it sounds like a cloudy almost milky spot in the pupil? Although they state that it is a problem from birth, not to developed over time.

(my source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Glory_syndrome )

Since I have no knowledge or experience in this issue, I would suggest a vet visit.

I am sure one of more experienced hog-owners know more about the haze you are seeing in the eyes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
morning glories are like tears that harden in our eyes when we cry. She still eats as usual, drinks lots of water...poop is okay...and wheels a lot at night... i'll sched her for the vet

thanks for the info... where can I get aveeno?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Aveeno oatmeal body wash or Aveeno oatmeal bath packets can be found at your local grocery store (usually by the shampoos and soaps). :)

Good luck and let us know what the vet says. I am sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks stephanie :) I like your baby's color real cute.

I'll try to get a picture of audrey today so you can see what it looks like.

thanks again :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks bengal77. I checked Audrey's eye when I got home last night. No more morning glories :D I've already called the vet and he got us sched for saturday. I'll continue observing her eyes in the mean time. We stayed up late last night playing and cuddling :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts