Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
3,917 Posts
Start off with a smaller amount of food and count the kibble. And give her a fresh bowl daily. If you leave food for any longer it could have become contaminated and she may not be eating it because of it. If a small piece of poo should get pushed in the bowl she may not want to eat it.

If you are certain she hasn't eaten in 4 days, syringe feed her and get her to a vet for a health check. Fatty liver disease can start, as mentioned, after only a few days. Ask the vet to look at her mouth, her teeth, and her gums. If something is wrong there it may hurt to eat. Have you tried to feed her anything else? Mealworms? Will she eat that?

While at the vet, get some Hills a/d canned food. It is an easily syringable formula. If I don't have Hills a/d on hand, I buy Innova regular cat food. It is fairly smooth and when a little water it added it usually syringe feeds. You do have to watch as it does have some carrot in it that can get stuck in the syringe. You can also just grind her kibble up and add water or low sodium chicken broth to it to syringe feed. I have also used kibble ground up with Boost vanilla flavor supplement drink (found in the human supplement drink section of your drug store).

· Administrator
3,917 Posts
There is a lot of contradictory information out there. Some of it is just difference of opinion of what is right and wrong. If you ever read something that gets contradicted, please ask. I've been in the hedgehog community for many many moons now and the information from when I got my first hedgehog and the information today has changed greatly. What we thought was correct back then, we have since learned otherwise. Some of the information you have read on hedgehogs could simply be old information.

There are also many books out there that are plain out wrong, and contain harmful information. I have several of those older books. They are only good for their cute images, not for their information. As long as you are aware that while we have come a long way, we still know very little and are learning a lot, you will be better off trying to determine what is right and wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.