Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so sick and tierd of reading up on Hedgehog information and having one place say one thing and another say the complete opposite :( It is very confusing and I don't know what to believe. I have read that it is safe to feed a hedgehog non-fat plain yogurt and then I just read on something on this site that they're lactose and tolorant and cant have that! I don't know what to do because I already fed some to her.

Also, I counted Bellas kibble a few days ago and there was 98 in her dish. I had my boyfriend count it 4 days later and she it hadn't gone down ONE kibble. NONE of it was missing! She has been drinking her water regularly,though. How long can they go with just living off of water? I had suspected that even days before I started counting, that she wasn't eating so it could have been more then 4 days without food! But surley they can't go that long without eating and not die, right?? I'm so afraid for her health but I do not want to waist another vet trip just to find out that nothings wrong again and that shes just eating after I go to bed or something or miscounted kibble..I dont know...

As a precaution, I am considering syringe feeding her and I was wondering if there was any less expensive home remedies or supermarket bought formulas I can feed her? Any information would be EXTREMELY helpful and I need some fast! I'm very afraid for Bellas wellbeing. Thank You for reading :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yogurt is fine as it has very little lactose in it. As for the hunger strike : how long have you had her, how old is she , and what has she been eating previously ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just wanted to add that she should always be given fresh food and water every day, also the bowls should be washed just as often to inhibit bacteria growth. You don't have to give her such a large amount, just give her slightly more than what she can eat in a day so that you minimize wastage. :)
( imagine yourself eating food that has been sitting in the open for 4 days off the same unwashed plate :shock: )

Edited to add: More than 2 days without eating will cause FLD to set in, if you are sure she has not eaten in 4 days, it is probably best to take Bella to the vet and start to syringe feed her.

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
Start off with a smaller amount of food and count the kibble. And give her a fresh bowl daily. If you leave food for any longer it could have become contaminated and she may not be eating it because of it. If a small piece of poo should get pushed in the bowl she may not want to eat it.

If you are certain she hasn't eaten in 4 days, syringe feed her and get her to a vet for a health check. Fatty liver disease can start, as mentioned, after only a few days. Ask the vet to look at her mouth, her teeth, and her gums. If something is wrong there it may hurt to eat. Have you tried to feed her anything else? Mealworms? Will she eat that?

While at the vet, get some Hills a/d canned food. It is an easily syringable formula. If I don't have Hills a/d on hand, I buy Innova regular cat food. It is fairly smooth and when a little water it added it usually syringe feeds. You do have to watch as it does have some carrot in it that can get stuck in the syringe. You can also just grind her kibble up and add water or low sodium chicken broth to it to syringe feed. I have also used kibble ground up with Boost vanilla flavor supplement drink (found in the human supplement drink section of your drug store).

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
As others have mentioned, they do need fresh food and water daily. Water goes skunky and food goes stale sitting in the dish and can become contaminated.

If she has not eaten in 4 days she needs to see the vet and get food syringed into her now. To not eat anything for that length of time means something is wrong and FLD may have started.

Yes hedgehogs are lactose intolerant but a small amount of yogurt or cottage cheese once in a while is fine. If the hedgehog has messy poops afterward, don't feed it again.

I suggest you start syringing her asap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice and I think I will start making a boost/kibble mix to syringe feed her. I always try my hardest to do whats right for her and I just get really scared when I read one thing and then see another that contradicts it. I believe almost all the information on here as everyone seems pretty repectable and experienced.

And to a few questions that were asked:
I've had her for a month and a half and shes 14mo. old..she was eating fine for a week after I brought her home and then I noticed her kind of just slow down and then what looks like, completely stop. I'm stopping by the vet office tomorrow to pay a bill from the last time I brought her there so maybe there will be someone there that can give me some information without me having to make an appointment. Thank you for reading and for all the advice! It was all very helpful and I will start to change the food everyday!I usually did I was just irresponsible for a few days.

Oh, and to one of the other questions one of you asked, when I tried to feed her live mealies she wouldn't touch them and basically ran away from it. I've tried to feed her some high quality wet cat food and yogurt (like I said before) and I basically had to force feed it to her (in a nonviolent way, of course lol) and if I have to force feed syringe formula to her, I will because I WILL NOT let her starve herself.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I was having a similar problem with my hedgie. He was eating very little and it turned out the solution was that his room was not dark enough at night, the street light was coming in from the window and causing him not to want to come out of his sleeping house. We solved this problem by covering the cage with a towel when we put him away at night.

As for the meal worms, most hedgehogs will eat them (I have heard of some that will not but it's not common) but if she has never had a live bug before than it may be freaking her out a bit. Have you tried freeze dried or canned meal worms? The canned ones are suppose to be softer than the rest so if she is having teeth problems they should be easier for her to eat. Also small pieces of cooked plain chicken are good for her to eat as a treat and may help get something in to her.

Between syringe feedings why not put some kibble in her bed with her. Then next time to take her out count to see if she's eaten them and replace with new kibble, sometimes this will get a hedgehog eating if they are in a sleepy mood.

Good Luck

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
There is a lot of contradictory information out there. Some of it is just difference of opinion of what is right and wrong. If you ever read something that gets contradicted, please ask. I've been in the hedgehog community for many many moons now and the information from when I got my first hedgehog and the information today has changed greatly. What we thought was correct back then, we have since learned otherwise. Some of the information you have read on hedgehogs could simply be old information.

There are also many books out there that are plain out wrong, and contain harmful information. I have several of those older books. They are only good for their cute images, not for their information. As long as you are aware that while we have come a long way, we still know very little and are learning a lot, you will be better off trying to determine what is right and wrong.

·
Registered
754 Posts
To help stimulate her appitite, you need to syringe feed her some flattened Pespi or Coke (not diet). The sweetness helps get the appitite going. You can also try sugar water. I would try doing a little bit every hour or 2. Try baby food meat, like the turkey. My vet prescribes prednesione for hunger strikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts