Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm freaking out!! I noticed a sore on my quillys chest tonight and it looks very ugly. He doesn't have fur where it is and I don't know how long he's had it to have it look this bad because he usually doesn't let me see his underbelly. Getting pictures to see closely from him is nearly impossible. Does anyone know what it might be !? He hasn't shown me if he was picking at it so I have no idea if he's making it worse. Please try to help me get an idea of what this could be!! He wheels like normal, still cuddles with me, and drinks water. He's recently gotten fussy with his food but I am trying other options for him.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
557 Posts
Not sure, but definitely take him to the vet. Have you gone yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, but definitely take him to the vet. Have you gone yet?
I took Quilly to the vet last night! He misbehaved terribly and we tried all options to get him to unfurl (vet didn't wanna gas him first resort). The vet got a glance of the wound for 3 seconds and she said maybe it could be an abscess because she didn't think it was mites. She said maybe he cut himself on something or scraped himself in his cage and further irritated it by messing with it and maybe contaminating it with his soiled bedding and wheel.

She gave me some steroid drops to apply to his skin every 12 hours, so I'm going to try to do it as well as I can. He didn't allow us to do a skin culture on him so she sent me home with a kit to try and do myself and if I bring it back successfully she says then we can run it and she will charge me.

I had a question, is it normal that he is mad and huffy with hands and us picking him up after the vet? He really hated the experience and im afraid now that I've scared him from me as now he sees hands and balls up and huffs. He will eventually unball but he's way more quick to react and huffy now, and will pop and hiss when I move him from his resting spot. I don't know if maybe it's just because it's morning, or that he's actually traumatized from last night. :( what should I do? He definitely hates when we apply the drops, too.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
557 Posts
Yes, he is probably mad that he was messed with at the vet so now he is extra grumpy. Just give him a few hours to chill out and cool down :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, he is probably mad that he was messed with at the vet so now he is extra grumpy. Just give him a few hours to chill out and cool down :)
It's so weird because he anointed for the first time ever this morning with the snuggle sack that I took him to the vet with (I think we got some of the tuna treat into the bag that she was trying to bribe him with). He didn't wanna sleep in it though and it's his favorite bag, so I washed it with Unscented Detergent and left it to dry. I hope he doesn't hate that snuggle sack and his carry bag now too! He's currently a very grumpy pants hiding in his tunnel.. 😅 I hope he doesn't hold a grudge with me for taking him to the vet! We have a follow up appointment next week 😬

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
It could also smell like the sanitizer they use in the office. I normally wash everything that goes in as it smells. How is he doing now? Being a little extra grumpy after being handled by a stranger who smells weird (sanitizer), was handling in him ways he doesn't like and in an office where other stressed out, scared animals are.... Well I'd huff a bit too. ;) Its fairly normal and especially so those that tend to be a bit more on the defensive side of personalities. Also consider that you are now doing things he isn't used to (medicating) and are likely also feeling stressed since he isn't behaving right.... Take a deep breath, get a snuggle bag, and have a nice quiet evening with him, tell him he's safe, and offer him a couple of bugs to ask for forgiveness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could also smell like the sanitizer they use in the office. I normally wash everything that goes in as it smells. How is he doing now? Being a little extra grumpy after being handled by a stranger who smells weird (sanitizer), was handling in him ways he doesn't like and in an office where other stressed out, scared animals are.... Well I'd huff a bit too. ;) Its fairly normal and especially so those that tend to be a bit more on the defensive side of personalities. Also consider that you are now doing things he isn't used to (medicating) and are likely also feeling stressed since he isn't behaving right.... Take a deep breath, get a snuggle bag, and have a nice quiet evening with him, tell him he's safe, and offer him a couple of bugs to ask for forgiveness.
Hes definitely gotten in a much better mood since then, and I've been able to give him the drops every day as well. My girlfriend says his wound is getting better and has completely scabbed over (I haven't been able to see because I'm the one who knows how to hold him up when we do this and he normally doesn't let us see his belly). He seems to have been eating less ever since he got this wound though. I tried to switch his food and give him another option in his cage (I had the new and old food in) and he ate a good bit of the new food at first, but now he only ate about 5 chunks of that food (they're bigger but softer than cat food and break apart extremely easily, so I'd say they're about the equivalent of 10 cat kibble, more or less.) He eats his treats with gusto though, so I'm not sure if its hedgie pickiness. He seems more interested in wheeling and drinking. I was wondering if I should offer him wet cat food tonight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would grind up some of their hard kibble and mix it with water for my boys, kind of like a goulash and they loved it. If you want to give that a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts