Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i took my hedgie out for our regular playtime but then i noticed his foot it looks like his foot is starting to peel on the top its hard and he doesnt even notice it ? any suggestions? i'm worried. is a vet trip necessarry ? i mean i dont have a problem going to the vet its just he gets all worked up when ever hes there & balls & misbehaves... :/

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Do you mean peeling like dandruff? Dry skin is a pretty common hedgehog-phenomena, particularly with frequent bathing (which foot-baths are). Typical fixes are to add oil to food (flaxseed, olive oil) or directly to the unhappy skin.

If it looks more red and damaged (maybe like a sunburn?), that may be more like getting urine burns from not cleaning the wheel often enough? No experience in this, just vague half-understood archive-posts and we'll need to wait for one of the more experienced users to wander past.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Feet get dirtier than everywhere else, and spend the most time getting washed (in foot-baths, or being the only part fully submerged the whole time in full-baths), so I wouldn't really be surprised if they got more dried out than everywhere else.

If I were you, I would try using oil for a few days, then give it a day off to see if it's improved. If it has, lovely, problem solved, reapply oil sporadically whenever skin starts getting dry. If it hasn't, or immediately gets worse when stopping treatment, I'd look into other possibilities, re-post for more ideas.

Other considerations:
1. Has the humidity changed recently? I know some parts of the interior-north can have a pretty drastic dry-out after the summer storms....
2. Are you using fleece or loose bedding? I've read that carefresh/paper beddings can dry out skin, and feet are more exposed than anywhere else so they could dry out faster...
3. What type of wheel are you using? Some types (Silent Spinner, with drain-holes sealed to protect toes) can pool urine, leading to urine-burned feet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would post a picture but as soon as i put some flax oil on the dry spot it healed up within a couple hours? , curious to what it was??? though. n i use a carolina storm wheel and fleece, his cage gets thoroughly cleaned once a week and , like spot cleaned daily. i'm thinking its the weather , because it gets humid then very dry and everytime the weather changes his skin gets really dryy -.- im not sure what i could use for a permanent fix...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts