Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we had no idea she was pregnant and she was even at the vet two weeks ago!
they didnt notice anything which now makes us mad. she was really flaky so we thought there was something wrong and maybe she had mites and they gave us mange medicine to give her! kevin never gave it to her which was perfect because it could have killed the babies. so now she has two and we just need steps about what to do. we dont really want to look in the igloo because it will make her mad (she wont let us near her) and we know if we stress her she can eat or abandon them:(
so we are just trying to stay away.
thanks for reading all of this and for any help!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Right now you do nothing. Don't look at her, don't bother her, keep the room quiet and the temps level. Give her fresh food and water every day and you might want to add some kitten food to her diet to help her with the extra calories she needs. If she has a wheel, remove that.

I'm a rescue, not a breeder so until someone else comes along with more advice, do nothing.

You can't disturb mom for about two weeks, so get used to doing nothing and feeling helpless. Good luck.

Oh, don't blame the vet for missing the pregnancy. It's almost impossible to tell if a hedgehog is pregnant unless you're an experienced breeder. I'm not good at it so when a female comes in rescue, the rule is "If she bites, she's pregnant" until proven otherwise. HTH.

·
Registered
241 Posts
HedgeMom is right! Do not disturb her. Remove the wheel but be carefull to not scare her. Add a couple drops of beer (Alcohol free) in her water every day to help with the milk. You can also give her cottage cheeze and alfalfa (is it really a word in english?? I found that to say "Luzerne" in Babel Fish, Translation :lol: ) to help with her milk.

So let her alone for 2 weeks. Don't clean the cage, don't put you odour around her nest and everything will be ok! ;)

Good luck and keep in touch! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I think you must have the wrong english word. Alfalfa is a grain, hay or straw like thing. Hedgehogs do not need hay or grains. They are not like chinchillas or other hay eating animals.
I've never heard of giving bear and don't understand the purpose.

Personally, I would not give her anything new except you can slowly start adding some Royal Canin Baby cat to her mix of kibble. The Baby Cat will give her the extra fat she needs and the babies easily wean onto it. Start slow though so as not to upset her tummy.

Talk quietly when you enter the room she is in so she knows you are there. I tell my girls what I'm going to be doing. Give her fresh food and clean water at the time you usually do and check it in the morning and top up or replace if needed. Two sets of identical dishes work best so you don't have to go to the cage twice. Lift out old food and water, set in new.

What type of bedding is she on?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Beer is made with hops and barley that helps a lot to produce milk. Same a the "luzerne" that I can't find the words in english!! :oops:

We are not obliged if mom has only one baby. She will have enought of milk. But if nothing was prepred for her before she gave birth, it could help. ;)

I found that picture for my "luzerne"

We don't gave a lot.. just a little bit. Same for the cottage cheeze. ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
yea thats alfalfa!!!!!!lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Alfalfa (not sprouts) is a galactagogue, which means it helps increase milk production. In humans and animals. BUT it's given in powdered/capsule form, NOT as hay and sprouts are useless. Beer is useful in humans because it relaxes them and allows the milk gland muscles to relax to "let down", not usually an issue in animals and not safe any way.

If a hedgehog is not producing enough milk (and I have no idea how to tell b/c I'm NOT a breeder) then powdered fenugreek is the safest herb for increasing milk production. Just a sprinkle on soft food will do it. It will also make them smell like maple syrup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
HedgeMom said:
Beer is useful in humans because it relaxes them and allows the milk gland muscles to relax to "let down",

not usually an issue in animals and not safe any way.
I always use that for each female and I never had problem with that. My vet agree with that option too.

Maybe some breeder won't use it but in Canada, a lot of good breeders will start to use it every day at the 30th day of the gestation.
;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
i guess anything outside Quebec doesn't count as Canada =D

(just joking mika >.<)

on a side note, luzerne is a very nice place to visit if you want to go on a vacation to Switzerland.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mika said:
HedgeMom said:
Beer is useful in humans because it relaxes them and allows the milk gland muscles to relax to "let down",

not usually an issue in animals and not safe any way.
I always use that for each female and I never had problem with that. My vet agree with that option too.

Maybe some breeder won't use it but in Canada, a lot of good breeders will start to use it every day at the 30th day of the gestation.
;)
Considering that you've been a breeder for less than two years "always" and "never" aren't very long nor much. And as experienced owners on this forum can attest, a vet is rarely the source for good husbandry information.

Having owned hedgehogs for over 15 years and having met a number of Canadian breeders during that time, I can categorically state that not one has EVER mentioned beer as a dietary supplement for pregnant hedgehogs.

As an FYI, even non alcohol beer has alcohol. Just as pregnant women shouldn't drink, neither should hedgehogs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why not for hedgehogs if it's good for humains?? Only a couple of drops in the water... it's not too bad!! I'm going to see my vet tonight and I'll talk to her about that to know what she think about that and i'll let you know!! ;)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'm in no way a breeder or anything, but I just want to mention that humans usually only drink beer to make their milk come in, but I don't think they drink it while they're still pregnant. They have the baby, and then if their milk doesn't come in very fast, they may try drinking some beer to relax. This is what my sister did. But as far as I know, they don't drink it while they are still pregnant.

And I have to say, your logic is a bit flawed there. Citrus fruits are good for humans, oranges and the like. If they're good for humans, shouldn't they then be good for hedgehogs, with what you said? But yet, we're not supposed to feed hedgehogs oranges and other citrus fruits. Same with milk and other dairy products. So, that doesn't necessarily follow right. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, that's what I learn. I'm waiting for an answer of the president of AFCH (Association franco-canadienne des hérissons) to know where they get that information!!

Maybe it's something that you have never heard about it and could be something new to know. We always learn about hedghogs!!

It's like olive oil. A lot of person will use it here. Fist time I had an hedgehog it was the best thing for their skinn. But after a few skinn problem with some hedgehogs, we advise now that it's not the good thing. So now, we advise people to not use olive oil anymore for dry skin but vitamin E. Olive oil block pores 'cause it's too greasy. ;)

Who knows everything about hedgehogs?? Nobody! So I thing it's with help and experience that we can learn. And it's up to everybody to do what they want!! ;)

It's only a opinion and I respect every opinin!! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
When the Association franco-canadienne des hérissons was still the Canadian Hedgehog Association, they had a lot of incorrect and misleading information on the site. One in particular I remember was to give the moms hay to eat. WHAT! Hedgehogs don't eat hay. They even used to sell hay racks for the cages. Why? :lol:

I used to figure some of the information lost something in the translation but the hay thing was just weird.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts