Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my hedgehog is about 8 weeks old and the breeder I got her from said to just stick to the diet he was on from the start until he gets used to his new home and all. He loves his purina one - healthy adult cat formula(Is that okay?) and I give him either carrots, lettuce or green beans at night. Haven't started with the worms yet because I feel his is putting on weight pretty fast, he doubled size in a matter of a few weeks. Is this good or am I missing something? He is very active and loves running on his wheel and loves to keep me up doing so

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and he gets about 2-3 teaspoons of dry food a night(around 70 pieces i believe..) is this too much

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The weight gain might just be because he is still growing. Some are almost full size by then but others will still grow. I have a Purina in my mix that mine was eatting when I got him, you'll want to check your formula and make sure the protein is around 30% and fat under 15%. You'll want to wait until he is settled in before introducing new foods into his diet. After he's settled then you can check out the recommended food list to find some great foods you can add to your mix :)

Congrats on your new hedgie and welcome to HHC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have had him for about.. 3 or 4 weeks now. So at what age is it okay to start giving in treats and changing up his diet? It seems like every time I give him something else other than the cat food he gets an upset stomach

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
o_O You've had him since he was 4-5 week old? :?

The weight gain is nothing to worry about, he is still growing. Also, the 2-3 teaspoons... Does he have food left over in the morning? If so, then you are feeding the correct amount. If not, then you are not feeding him enough.
Most people here "free feed" their hedgies. Meaning that there is always food in their dish 24/7. Some count kibbles, some weigh, and some use spoon measurements to determine how much their hedgies eat. In the beginning when my boy was 8 weeks, he'd finish off an entire bowl of food every night, with only crumbs left in the morning... So approximately 2-3 tablespoons.
As long as he has a wheel in his cage, and you are feeding low fat foods, he should be fine in weight.

Anyways, are you giving him treats in very tiny amounts? For treats, if it's something new, I tend to give only a few bites(Also keep in mind, I am overly cautious when it comes to feeding, perhaps too much so, so adjust according to how your hedgie responds). Probably the amount that would just slightly overflow off the sides of a penny. If he likes it, great(And I may sometimes give him an extra bite if he REALLY likes it), and if not, that's fine too. After about a day or two and all seems well, I'll give a bit more, in a bit bigger portion.

As for changing the diet, make sure he doesn't have an upset tummy currently first. Usually, people start adding new foods after about a month(Again, adjust this according to how your hedgie is. If he is still nervous and gets upset tummies easily, wait a bit longer).

Once you have bought the food you want to mix in, do it slowly. Again I am overly cautious with this and I will add in about 5 new kibbles the first day, see how he is overnight, then continue with the 5 kibbles for another day or two. Then I'll increase it to about 8-10 kibbles, and feed that consistently to the end of the week, ending at 10 kibbles. If all goes well, I'll add a few more kibbles, etc etc. If his poop seems to be a bit soft, I'll continue with the <10 kibbles until his poop is normal(this may take an extra week).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts