Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (yesterday) got my first hedgehog. Her name is Coco and she is 7 months old. When we got her from the pet store they said she hadn't been handled nearly as much as she should have. I have done hours and hours of research so I know that it's normal that she huffs and puffs up when we try to pick her up. We have spent time letting her run on a blanket and she seemed content doing that as long as we don't touch her. However the second time we took her out today was so that I could clean out her wheel that she had pooped in. I also read that to get her more used to me to put in an old tshirt that I had worn. I did this by putting in her igloo which she LOVES. She immediately goes to her igloo when put in her cage. However after putting the shirt in she refuses to go in it. She instead has opted to lay in her litter box or under her wheel. I tried physically putting her in the igloo to show her it's okay but she comes right out and won't go back in. The shirt is bright orange, could this have anything to do with it? Or does she associate my smell with being forced to interact with me lol Any advice would help!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hedgehogs, especially when in a new cage or environment, will sleep anywhere. I kept my shirt out of my girls igloo when I first got her so she could decided to sleep with it or not. She now never sleeps in her igloo and always sleeps under my shirt. I would give her either option. As long as the scent is in the cage she will associate your scent with safety and home. Giver her time. She will do weird things and she will get used to you soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Some hedgehogs take months to adjust to you! you NEED to be patient. It sounds like you are pushing her a little... she just made a huge transition. I am planning on leaving my baby be for a day or two before trying to even put my hand in the cage so she can start to get used to me. Especially for a hedgehog that wasn't handled enough... it can be very scary!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts