Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i don't know if anyone remembers but a few weeks ago i came on here asking about a couple red bumps i was concerned about on my hand. So, I went to my doctor when it was small and she said she didnt think it was anything because i was also sick at the time and she thought it was related. :roll:
so as it got incredibly worse (won't go into details), i went to my dermatologist. they did a bacterial and viral test.. nothing. so i went back a couple days later as it was getting increasingly worse, they decided to do a fungal test and thought it was for sure from the hedgehog. I then took my hedgehog to the vet. They said he was healthy and nothing was wrong with him. I told my dermatologist this. Finally, tonight the fungal results came back. POSITIVE! ughh. It's some rare thing that has only happened to five people in the last year! my dermatologist told me she read the list of what could cause it and hedgehog is on the list. help! i don't know what to do! i'm going to call the vet tomorrow. I will do whatever it takes to make my hedgie healthy. In the mean time, i can't touch him with my bare hands and can't really handle him that much. Should i wear gloves or something. Because the dermatologist said it could keep spreading and it could be given to other people who touch him. How come the vet didn't find anything fungal on my hedgie!?
please please please help!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I think what happens with hedgehogs is that the quills, even with a friendly hedgehog, will poke the skin, creating an opening where icky stuff can go through. The fungus might not be from your hedgehog, but your hedgehog could've opened up a way for the fungus to get into you and start the rash.
I would get some latex or plastic gloves to handle your hedgehog with, then throw them away after each handling. I'm not sure how much those will freak him out, but less so than leather gloves, I'd think.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Lilysmommy said:
I would get some latex or plastic gloves to handle your hedgehog with, then throw them away after each handling. I'm not sure how much those will freak him out, but less so than leather gloves, I'd think.
You're hedgie will probably HATE the smell/feel of those. Also, I think it would be pretty easy to poke a through them (?). I know when I use them for art I'm always tearing them... The glove thing is a VERY good idea though, at least until your hands clear up. Perhaps some think winter gloves? You could even do the latex gloves and THEN the winter gloves, just so you're not constantly washing them.

While you're using them, just make sure your hedgie always has something that smells like you, just so it's not TOO much of a huge shock to him...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking the same thing about them ripping and being poked through quite easily. I think the latex under the light winter glove is a great idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts