Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It only took me two months, but I finally cornered Melchoir into a position where I could cut his back toenails - I got one foot done, and went for the next. I cut the same way I did on the other foot, but his toe began to bleed when I did so! It bled quite a bit. I put him in a towel and put him back in his cage - I don't know if I cut his whole toe off, or if it will heal right away! He didn't flinch, or get scared when I did it, so I don't know how severe it is.

I've been hating myself all night!

Any advice on how to check if he's okay, or see if it's serious, or to not do this again?

I swear, I followed the nail clipping advice in the proper care forum, and still nicked him!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, you do have to take a look. Be brave and try to see if you just cut the nail too short or hurt his toe. Or you can scoop up the whole hedgie in the towel and go to the vet.

Hope you hedgie is ok.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Take out the towel and put in a fleece. Towels have little loops where his other nails can get caught in, and maybe pulling at his injured foot even more.

Put him in a shallow tub/sink of warm water(check with your wrist first!) and let him waddle around in the water. This will help clean off the poop and blood. You may have to make a second tub/sink of warm water once the first one is dirtied, so you can actually see a clean foot through clean water.

So, check whether it's just the nail, or the entire toe. If toe, you may want to take him to vets to get some antibiotics so that it doesn't get infected as he heals.

Clean his cage thoroughly, and you may want to take out the wheel tonight. However, if he stresses out tonight because there's no wheel, then give him the wheel. Just give him a foot bath every day, especially in the morning, after a night of roaming.

You can chose to dab with REGULAR strength neosporin/polysporin. However, let him sniff it first and see how he reacts to it. If he doesn't like it, then don't bother putting it on.

But either way, most important is to just keep his feet clean. Foot bath in the morning is most important in my mind. You may want to chose to clean again at night, and would be preferable.

*edit cause I can't spell XD

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it's just a toenail, it'll likely clot up on its own. If it doesn't clot though, you can use cornstarch to stop the bleeding. That's what I do when I'm clipping my lovebird's nails, if I accidentally get the quick - just moisten a q-tip and stick it in cornstarch, and press against the nail - stops the bleeding almost immediately, and it doesn't sting like styptic powder does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all-

Thanks for the advice. It seems to have healed well on it's own - I have gotten an okay look at it, but I'll have to get him in some water tonight.

Thank you thank you thank you. I was so panicked, I'm glad he's okay for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts