Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male hedgehog, he is 1-2yrs of age. He is usually very lively, always running on his wheel, but today I found him just layng in his cage, and when I tried to get him to move, he just layed there. I took him out of his cage and heated him up, because I thought he might have attempted to hibernate. It has been over an hour and he still can not stand or anything, he feels like a ragdoll. Also, his nose is runny. What is wrong with him? Yesterday he was perfectly fine! Please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last time he was normal was yesterday. Then when I saw him today, he was lifeless. He is breathing, but he is stuck laying on his side. He was kind of cold before, but I spent time warming him up with a heating lamp, a warm towel, and a hand warmer, so he isnt cold anymore, but it did not seem to help. His nose is runny and bubbles keep coming out of it. He is also not blinking, and he has opened and closed his mouth a few times. Right now he is laying in front of a little heater and he is barely breathing. He seems like he is dying, but I'm not sure, and I have no idea what caused this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And when I say he is opening and closing his mouth, it sounds like he is having trouble breathing, like he is gasping for air.

·
Registered
754 Posts
"He is also not blinking, and he has opened and closed his mouth a few times. " That is usually what happens a few minutes before death.

I am not sure if she would have made it to the vet in time. I hope I am wrong, and he saw the vet. I hope he is going to get better.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it possible that he has something stuck in his airway? Maybe he can breathe but barely....usually if its hibernating he will come out after 40 minutes under your shirt. The bubbles coming out of the nose, attempts at opening and closing mouth and his blinking eyes are a sure sign that he is having difficulty breathing. I hope you brought him straight to a vet!

Please let us know how he is

·
Registered
236 Posts
How's he been eating, and what? Has he had anything new or unusual? Is it possible he could have an intestinal blockage? Has he been pooping normally?

·
Registered
902 Posts
katelynn_91 said:
. I took him out of his cage and heated him up, because I thought he might have attempted to hibernate. Also, his nose is runny.
Those two comments make me wonder if he could have a respiratory issue? If her heating system is in place with thermometer, why suspect hibernation? (I am still learning, I am asking this.) And a runny nose, but I know some of them have "wet noses" not necessarily running though. I hope it isn't too late. Thank goodness those of you were online at the time to urge her to a vet.

Katelynn we hope to hear from you soon so we know he is ok.
*edited for misspelling*

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh my god i hope he is ok??
Did you manage to get a vet out? Whats ahppened with the little guy? :cry:

Please let us know...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sisters hedgehog had the same symptoms lastnight we google and got this forum. We rushed her to a vet they kept her overnight in an oxygen box. Said they were doing tests and she was doing better. Got a call 2 hours ago she died because she had pnuemonia. It was horrifing to see her gasping for air. But she was doing better by the time we got to the vet and today they said she was eating and drinking doing better. Within a few hours she was gone. If we ever get another hedgehog she will be watched 24/7 since apparently its common for them to get pnuemonia.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Very sorry to hear that your hedgie passed :( I don't think Pnemonia is a really common thing for them to get though, I think a lot of times it can set in from an undiagnosed URI or if they inhaled something paint fumes or such or if the temperature wasn't warm enough. Not that this was the case in your situation. Sorry to hear the bad news though.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes pneumonia is common in hedgehogs and a URI can very quickly turn to pneumonia which is why it is very important to get any hedgehog showing signs of a URI to the vet immediately. Once pneumonia sets in the chance of recovery is not that good and even if they do recover, sometimes they are left with life long effects from it and are never really totally healthy after.

With a respiratory infection, it can sometimes be difficult to tell. Initially sneezes sound very similar to their normal little snuffling and huffing sounds. They lick their noses which removes any evidence of a runny nose. Often by the time we realize they are sick, they are very sick. Having symptoms of a respiratory infection and then going off food either with or without green poop is very often a sign it's turned to pneumonia.

Contrary to what many people say, a hedgehog will not recover from a respiratory infection without antibiotics. There is no such thing as "just a little cold" with a hedgehog.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your hedgie. :cry:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sunshiner said:
Oh my gosh...... is he OK? Please let us know ASAP! We'll be praying....
Er...they said the hedgehog passed, hon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Original Poster:
katelynn_91 said:
I have a male hedgehog, he is 1-2yrs of age. He is usually very lively, always running on his wheel, but today I found him just layng in his cage, and when I tried to get him to move, he just layed there. I took him out of his cage and heated him up, because I thought he might have attempted to hibernate. It has been over an hour and he still can not stand or anything, he feels like a ragdoll. Also, his nose is runny. What is wrong with him? Yesterday he was perfectly fine! Please help!
Different Poster:
onesoberirish said:
My sisters hedgehog had the same symptoms lastnight we google and got this forum. We rushed her to a vet they kept her overnight in an oxygen box. Said they were doing tests and she was doing better. Got a call 2 hours ago she died because she had pnuemonia. It was horrifing to see her gasping for air. But she was doing better by the time we got to the vet and today they said she was eating and drinking doing better. Within a few hours she was gone. If we ever get another hedgehog she will be watched 24/7 since apparently its common for them to get pnuemonia.
Still no news on the hedgie from the original poster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts