Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of a 8 week old albino hedgie (male). He still loves in a temporary cgae that he came in while we are waiting for his new one. That cage is a gerbil cage with 2 holes in the top of the cage (i guess for like tunnels or what not). Well my little guy has escaped! So my husband saw him running around his cage last night before bed. he shut the lights off and we went to bed. This morning i went to check on the lil feller and he was gone!!!!! My 10 yr old is unravelling by the second and we cant find him anywhere. I live in a 2 story and the hedgie is on the 2nd floor in my sons room. I have a lot of trash bags of clothes on the floor as i was going thru them recently! Hellllpp!!! I am scared we won't find him and it is still winter here in Tennessee. I did turn my heat to 70 but he is goes downstairs to the basement it isn't heated down there!!! What can i do to find him quickly???:-o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old trick with reptiles was flour on floor to watch for footprints, plate of favourite food darken the room try tempt him out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would suggest that you do the following:
  • Search one room at a time, and be very thorough. Lots of members have found their hedgehogs hiding IN things.
  • Secure the exits to each room/limit where he can be; meaning set up barricades so that when you're done clearing a room the he can't wander into it. Then you don't have to recheck the same area twice.
  • Be extra vigilant to remove any mouse traps/poison or anything else that could harm him.
  • Put a very strong smelling/his favourite food and some water out, preferably in the center of the room and in a clear area so you can hopefully see when he approaches the food. You could potentially put the food on something that rustles, like paper, but isn't too loud that it scares him away.
  • Turn all the lights off and wait for nightfall. Grab a dim flashlight and make your house as quiet as possible. Be patient, and wait for the sound of him moving around.

Flour on the floor is a good idea, but unless you coat your entire floor in flour and be careful where you walk, it's not necessarily going to help you find the hedgehog, it'll just tell you where he's been. You could put flour on some newspaper and put the food/water in the middle of that, then you could tell for sure if he's been there.

I think the key to finding him would be a combination of clearing the rooms thoroughly and waiting to hear the sound of him moving. My hamster's an escape artist, and that's what I have to do with her most of the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update my hedgie was found!!!

Thanks for the advise i have found spike safe and sound in my sons closet resting peacefully in a piar of my jean shorts... Little feller may go from Spike to Houdini!! Duct taped the two wholes in the top of gerbil cage as a preventitive measure until my new rabbit cage comes!! Gee he gave mom a heart attack:p:p:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to hear it don’t forget to put tape on both sides so no chance of him sticking to it shud he want to go exploring again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts