Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my hedgehogs babies are just over three weeks old so i decided to fully clean their cage today as they stink. Now flo is running roung and dragging the babies around the cage and they seem to be crying. should i be worried or are they going to be ok? PLease help me! :(

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Mom is stressed. The cage is not supposed to be fully cleaned until babies are weaned. Turn the lights on bright and stay out of the room and keep it quiet. Hopefully mom will settle down before the babies are injured.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Nobody except mom knows if putting back some of the bedding would help her settle down. Maybe it will, maybe it will make her worse. I wouldn't risk it. Best is to leave her alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for you advice, it seemed to work, she eventually calmed down and has been snuggling with/ nursing her babies early this morning and since i've come home from work. Thank you all so much, feel really relieved that all babies and mum are ok again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So Im new here and Im learning, I have no intentions of breeding but this has me curious.

At what age does the babies wean?

Also wouldn't the cage be absolutely filthy if you wait until they're weaned and wouldn't all that urine and feces in their cage start growing bacteria whichwould make it very unhealthy for them to be breathing in?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Moms usually start weaning at 5 weeks. Boys should be out of the cage when they are 6 weeks, 7 at the latest.

Most breeders spot clean the cage daily, removing a handful of the dirty bedding and replacing with a handful of clean. The nest should never be touched but taking out that little amount of mess each day isn't usually stressful on mom and keeps the cage reasonably clean.

A stinky cage is something we have to put up with when we breed because even with spot cleaning, it does smell. Mom doesn't care about the smell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts