Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 3 days ago, I noticed that Chloe didn't look so good, like as in goopy and non-with it.

She had babies 6 weeks ago, all weaned now. She fostered some about 3 weeks ago. The babies are all healthy, it's just Chloe.
Chloe looks I guess you could say Malnourished? I don't know much about that.

Yesturday I checked and she looked better, but I am still concerned.
I gave her some Bene-Bac just to help at least a little (I know Bene-Bac isn't the cure here).
I have a mother that can foster these that is already nursing some... so should I put the babies in with her? I don't know much about what to do in this case. She is eating that I see and drinking a little more than usual. She has gotten a little fatter I guess you could say.

I don't see anything wrong there or anything, just when I pick her up she doesn't look so healthy.

ANY advice would be much appreciated, I would love to see something done about this.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "goopy" that's usually used to describe something that is sticky and gel like...like jello. What are you feeding her? how much fat is she getting? She may be putting so much into her milk that its draining her energy. I would get her to a vet asap in case there is something internal going on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what you mean by "goopy" that's usually used to describe something that is sticky and gel like...like jello. What are you feeding her? how much fat is she getting? She may be putting so much into her milk that its draining her energy. I would get her to a vet asap in case there is something internal going on.
No, not "goopy" as in sticky or anything just sloppy as in her muscles are not tight they are rather very loose. I didn't think of the word at the time, sorry for the scare. I honestly don't think she needs a Vet, just some care, but what kind of care? She is looking better though, but not healthy. Is there any health boosters? Or something I guess you could say? Maybe medication? So you do want me to get the babies out, right? And give them to another mom? She is on Spikes Delight.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Don't you add a higher fat foods to your moms food when they are nursing? All breeders I know of do. Add some kitten food to her mix to help her keep her energy up, she is probably malnurished. Nursing moms need higher fat food. You can't give medications to an animal when you don't know whats wrong with it, for that you need to see a vet. There also really aren't any "health boosters" if she looks unhealthy then she should see a vet. Why don't you think she needs to see a vet? You say she's not healthy, so she needs to see a vet. You say she feels lethargic and not with it, those are both reasons to take her to a vet.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I agree totally with Nikki. She needs to see a vet. If she is "sloppy" which I assume you mean limp and lethargic, she needs to see a vet. Even having been feeding two litters, she should not be limp and lethargic.

I also agree that she should have had some kitten or higher fat food during nursing.

I hope she will be okay, but don't risk her life. Take her to the vet and make certain there is nothing serious wrong.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey.

When I said "Not with it" or "Sloppy" that was the day I noticed. She got better the day before, but she just kinda looked a little sick. Today she looks as normal as ever. She looks extremely healthy.
There is nothing wrong with her now. I didn't think she needed a Vet, just some care. I didn't know they were suppose to have higher fat that are nursing, I'll look into that later.
I know Chloe, and I didn't see that she needed a Vet. At the time she looked "Sloppy" it was late and the Vets office was I believe closed. The next day she improved and I thought I could just nurse her back to health. Today she looks completely normal. I have been through these before and talked with Vets. I know a lot about nursing back to health etc. I just thought maybe I needed to mention something to my Vet about medication? But obviously I didn't get an answer about that. :/
She is fine now. Thanks for the advice. By the way, I took her babies out and gave them to a nursing mother that has babies and they are doing fine. Camille excepted them. :)
I gave Chloe a wheel and some toys (before she wasn't allowed to have a wheel because she was nursing babies).

Thanks all and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok.

So she looks all better. I am very experienced with nursing mothers. I talk with a Vet and ask what he says. It's a real shame that nobody says "I am glad she's better" or "I am happy for you" instead, it's correcting what you said. She looks all better, thanks for your advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts