Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new on here, and to having a hedgehog. I adopted Zara when she was six weeks old, she is now 9 weeks old, and seems to be doing very well. The only thing is... is that when I get zara out to play, she runs around for little bit, and crawls through her tunnels, but then she will try and hide, underneath the couch, (where i can still see her) but she itches herself. And when i mean itches she will do it FOREVER until i stop her by picking her up. I don't know what to do. She sheds coils too while itching, but i don't know if this is normal, the itching part or if there could be something wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
She's at the right age for quilling, which is normal. They lose their baby quills & grow in their adult ones. However, the itching may not be normal. It would be a good idea to get a vet visit to get her checked for mites. Often it's best to just treat for mites anyway since tests can give a false negative. If you do get her treated, make absolutely sure that you use Revolution - do not let the vet give her Ivermectin. It can be easily overdosed & has caused numerous hedgehog deaths. Revolution is much safer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts