Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first hedgehog, Molly, from a breeder about a month ago. She is about nine months old, and I don't think she's ever been litter trained. I've put a box in her cage and moved some of her poop in there, but she hasn't used it. She actually only poops on her wheel or (usually) on me! I hear they often choose a corner to go in, but the wheel is blocking the corner. What changes should I make, and can a hedgehog at this age be litter trained?

Even if I can't ever get Molly to poop neatly in her cage, it's really important to me that she not poop on me. Every time I take her out of her cage she poops and pees on me. A lot! She's really sweet and fun, but I'm often discouraged from playing with her because I don't wanna get pooped and peed on. I think this is a real problem, not only because of the mess, but because it could mean I don't give her the attention she deserves. What can I do so I don't get pooped and peed on? Help!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Getting pooped and peed on is part of the entire hedgehog experience. The very first time I met my boy at the breeder's, he promptly peed on me, then curled up in my hands and fell asleep :lol: (I think he was marking his territory ^_^)

As they grow older, the need to poop and pee in such frequency will go down. However, it WILL still happen, it's not really something that is negotiable. You can also try waking her up and allow her about 20min of "awake" time, where she'll go eat, and pee/poop, and THEN take her out. There will be a smaller chance of getting pooped on, but no guarantees.

As for litter training, some hedgies just don't like to be litter trained. Poop and pee on wheels is also something that will always happen, no matter how old they are. Daily wheel cleaning is part of owning a hedgie.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Most will poop and pee when they are woke up. Try to let her run around in her cage for a few minutes before you take her out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hiya,

Our little Honey is exactly the same, she is a bit younger than Molly - at only 12 weeks, but she wees and poos as soon as we get her out. My partner is keen on litter training, - and he always moves her poo into a corner aswell, unfortunatly she too hasnt paid much notice!!
I bought a big red fleecy blanket which we put down down on the sofa/floor whenever we get her out. We let he run round this and do her business before we handle her too much, after she's got it out of her system we just get it up with kitchen roll and then handle her as much as we want!!
I think maybe just be patient with the litter training - if you have only had her for a month she may still be adapting to her new surroundings?

Hope it goes well, and good luck!!
Sarzie

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When my hedgie first came home I used foot baths as a way to address the issue while she was learning blatter control. Once she was out she was fine. Once she did find a corner on my carpet & started to have a poo. I quickly picked her up (as you would a dog), & carried her on her back, placing her in the litter box in her cage. It was almost a year before she had another accident, and that was due to my keeping her out of the cage too long without a bathroom break.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts