Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile---but Chip has been doing really good so I haven't had to post until now. Something is on his face and I don't know what. Maybe a month and a half ago I noticed a small bump on his lower jaw that basically looked like he poked himself with a quill. So whatever this is, it is a slow growing thing that isn't affecting his daily life. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or bothered at all by it, so that makes me feel better about it NOT being one of these oral cancers.

He seems to have some sort of growth on his lower lip, only on one side. It's hard to tell, but I think it is only on the outside and it doesn't seem to be bothering his teeth (he is still eating a ton and drinking plenty without any problems). Everything else is normal--running on his wheel, and normal activities.

I searched through old posts to see if I could figure this out on my own, but nothing seemed to match exactly. It doesn't seem to be an ingrown whisker, because it is all pink (and basically looks like his tongue is hanging out the side of his mouth), and no whiskers are on the growth. I saw a few pictures of other problems and the scabs were all brown, but like I said this is pink, relatively smooth, with a hint of a yellowish infection on the edges (like he scratched it and opened it up). The whole mass is about the this big: |----| spilling out of his mouth, so it isn't a uniform width.

That's as much info as I can give without posting a picture, which I'll do as soon as I can. Any ideas or advice????

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I'd take him to the vet. It could be an abscess or it almost sounds like an oral tumour. I'd post some pictures of oral tumours but just formatted my computer and haven't got any photos back on it yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try and post some pictures in a minute or two. I took some on my boyfriends iPhone and he's going to load them for me. It was hard to get a good shot because he was pretty squirmy---not angry, but maybe annoyed to be awake. I think at least you will get a general idea for the size, location, and color of the problem.

I don't know what to do about the vet issue--there used to be TWO in the area when I first got Chip, who have now left their practices so there is no one who specializes in hedgehogs. I tried calling around a few months ago in reference to getting a checkup for mites, and was unsuccessful. I'm in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Williamsburg) if that helps anyone who could help me locate a vet.

I was hoping it wasn't an oral cancer (for obvious reasons....) and I was rationalizing that since it seems to be growing slowly and not causing him any discomfort that it must not be cancer. Is that wrong logic??

·
Registered
594 Posts
I believe some Cancers and Tumor's can grow slowly without them showing any discomfort.
Hedgie's are good at hiding things like that.

I hope your little guy is ok and it's nothing serious.

I done a search for Exotic Vet's in your area. They may be the one's you said have left I don't know. this is what I found I hope it help's.
I'm not positive that they take Hedgehogs but on the website it says that new clients get's free first exams.

VCA Boulevard Animal Hospital
Phone: 757-874-3200
Fax: 757-930-0813
12620 Nettles Dr.
Newport News, VA 23606
http://www.VCABoulevard.com

VCA Animal Care Center
Phone: 757-423-3900
Fax: 757-423-3917
1228 West Little Creek Road
Norfolk, VA 23505
http://www.VCAAnimalCareCenter.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for doing that search. The Boulevard Vet is the one that no longer treats hedgehogs, but I called and left a message just in case something has changed over the past couple of months. When I talked to the weekend answering service and asked if anyone there was familiar with treating hedgehogs, she replied "I don't see why not." Not exactly a reassuring answer...so I will call back when the office is open on TUESDAY(!) I am calling the vet in Norfolk as well, although it will be another challenge to figure out how to get there--well over an hour and half's drive and this could not have happened on a busier personal schedule and work schedule week...

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgie7908 said:
Thanks for doing that search. The Boulevard Vet is the one that no longer treats hedgehogs, but I called and left a message just in case something has changed over the past couple of months. When I talked to the weekend answering service and asked if anyone there was familiar with treating hedgehogs, she replied "I don't see why not." Not exactly a reassuring answer...so I will call back when the office is open on TUESDAY(!) I am calling the vet in Norfolk as well, although it will be another challenge to figure out how to get there--well over an hour and half's drive and this could not have happened on a busier personal schedule and work schedule week...
EDIT
Glad to hear u found a good vet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I've spent all morning on the phone and I've nabbed a vet with excellent recommendations and qualifications right here in Williamsburg (Dr. Schiller at Godspeed Animal Clinic). The soonest I can get in contact with her due to the holiday is Tuesday at 7:30am. I tried the emergency line, but since I haven't been to this vet before, I am stuck until Tuesday. This vet has had hedgehogs in the past, and actually lost one in the past couple of months to oral cancer so I am confident she will be able to help me. She has been seeing a friend's hedgehog for an ingrown whisker as well, so I am confident she will know how to recognize whatever is wrong with my baby.

And dude, Larry T, please only give me HELPFUL information. This is an extremely difficult time and I've posted on here for assistance, advice, support, etc...I am extremely grateful to everyone who has helped me find a local vet so that I can get Chip checked out ASAP. In the meantime, he is continuing to just love life....I enjoyed the sounds of him running his little heart out last night and rearranging his house :) I'll do all the worrying and he can just keep doing his cute awesome little thing.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgie7908 said:
Ok I've spent all morning on the phone and I've nabbed a vet with excellent recommendations and qualifications right here in Williamsburg (Dr. Schiller at Godspeed Animal Clinic). The soonest I can get in contact with her due to the holiday is Tuesday at 7:30am. I tried the emergency line, but since I haven't been to this vet before, I am stuck until Tuesday. This vet has had hedgehogs in the past, and actually lost one in the past couple of months to oral cancer so I am confident she will be able to help me. She has been seeing a friend's hedgehog for an ingrown whisker as well, so I am confident she will know how to recognize whatever is wrong with my baby.

And dude, Larry T, please only give me HELPFUL information. This is an extremely difficult time and I've posted on here for assistance, advice, support, etc...I am extremely grateful to everyone who has helped me find a local vet so that I can get Chip checked out ASAP. In the meantime, he is continuing to just love life....I enjoyed the sounds of him running his little heart out last night and rearranging his house :) I'll do all the worrying and he can just keep doing his cute awesome little thing.
Sorry the only advice i had was take him to the vet and that was not being HELPFUL at all.
And the comment i made"i would drive all day and nite for any of my animals" is true but was not they right thing to say to you espeacially when your going through so much right now.
I feel like the worlds biggest jerk for saying that please accept my apology.
So glad to here u found a great hedgie vet.
Hope everything turns out ok.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Your welcome!
I'm glad you found a good vet that was closer!
I wish the little guy good luck, I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i hope little chip is okay and everything goes good at the vet!
please keep us updated on your little baby.

·
Registered
594 Posts
:cry: Oh I'm so sorry!
I wish little chip a fast recovery.
Please let us know how he is doing when he get's out of surgery.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.