Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 11 wk old hegdehog, Nigel, for about 5 days. Yesterday I was carrying him downstairs to his cage when I put him down for a about 30 seconds on the kitchen floor. When I turned around, all I could see was his spiky little backside sqeezing into a tiny hole between our dishwasher and the kitchen cabinets. At first, I wasn't really worried. My husband and I took off the cover of the diswasher base, but he seemed to have found a way to get into the base of the cabinets. After he still wouldn't come out for several hours (even when we tempted him with food) we cut holes in the floor of the cabinets. We could tell he'd been there because there was fresh poop, but no Nigel. I put food, water and his bed inside the hole and checked several times during the night and this morning but he hasn't eaten anything or been seen.

It's been a little less than 24 hours. I'm getting really worried. How long can he go without food and water? If he gets dehydrated will he go into hibernation? I've got the heat cranked up, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm hoping some seasoned owner(s) will have insight or advice on what to do next.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't own a hedgehog... but I can still give advice, right? :) I know a bit about them.
What is his favorite thing? If he loves his wheel, maybe put that out? And keep the bed and food and water and everything out, he may decide to go there...
Is there anywhere else he could have gone from the cabinets?
hr

·
Registered
754 Posts
Leave food, water and his wheel out for him. Hopefully, tonight you will hear him on the wheel and catch him. Sometimes people will sit in the dark near by so that they can catch them.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If you know for sure he's still in that room, block of any ways he could get out. You'll want to leave the food/water/wheel out as previously mentioned. If you want you can put down newspaper or something that will make noise if he walks on it. Maybe mealies, if he likes them?

I know when I've had animals escape, I block off everything and be sure they can't escape the room they are in. Then I go around methodically taking everything off the floor, making sure to leave food out where they can get to it, and I can see. Then I sit in the dark waiting for them to make any noise.

...I've only had mice and rats escape, and they turn hahaha-I'm-wild-can't-catch-meee!! as soon as they hit the floor. :lol: I'd imagine as long as your hedgie comes out, you'll have no trouble. Just make a noise or something to make him ball up or at least freeze, and you'll have a chance to grab him.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I agree with all the above mentioned ideas and wanted to add one more that I thought off...they tend to like piles of things so maybe if you put his bedding near is wheell and food or a pile of hedgie bags and scraps that he'll decide to climb in to sleep when he's done eatting and running...I know mine will always run for piles of clothes. I hope you find him :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all the advice. I still haven't found him (it's going on two days now) and we haven't heard any noises either. He still hasn't touched the food I put out. We pulled the dishwasher out and found a large hole in the brick wall on the other side. I took a clothes hanger and poked around very gently inside the hole, but didn't feel him. I'm worried he's gotten inside the walls or under the floor and we'll never be able to find him if he doesn't have the sense to come out on his own. He also seemed to be in that "sleeping 23 hours a day baby stage", so I'm not sure he's even waking up much to explore and try to get out. I'm still hoping for the best, but I've also prepared myself for the worst. :(

The only ray of hope is that when we pulled out dishwasher a huge creepy bug came out. Disgusting for us, but maybe Nigel's got a foodsource wherever he is?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Make sure the area is very warm so he isn't attempting to hibernate. Yes babies sleep but they still get up to eat and drink and some play. Leave as much of the wall area open as you can so he can hopefully find his way out and start searching further into the wall if you can.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Setup video camera on night-shot and see if it records him coming out at all. Are you counting the kibble to be sure he isn't eating?

Best of luck. While waiting, purchase a play pen or sterilite container to set him in so doesn't happen again. They're quick little guys, yup!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Put something out that will tempt him to come out, like some smelly wet cat food. Try sitting it inside an open paper bag that will allow you to hear a rustling noise if he's in it.

Also keep in mind that hedgehogs like warm cozy places to hide. He may have found a way behind the fridge or another appliance. They also like dark places. Don't go moving things around too much as you may trap him in, but you might try moving them out a LITTLE--just enough to see behind them--to see if he's back there. If you find him but he is in a place that could be tricky or harmful to get of, try eliminating all other hiding spots in the room by closing them off, then put a smelly treat out and let him come out on his own.

He's most likely to come out at night, so turn off the lights and sit somewhere you can listen for him.

Let's hope you find him soon!

*edit* I didn't realize the date before posting. Did you ever find him/any more signs of him? */edit*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nigel Update:

Finally, after 5 days I have some good news. When I woke up this morning, the water and food that I put out were gone! The water dish was also scooted and tipped over slightly and the food dish was dirty...little bits of dust bunnies and sawdust. There were also a couple of bits of plastic (looks like something from a pipe coupling) that were gnawed on.
When I called my husband at work to tell him, he remembered that when he got up last night to get a drink, he heard a noise like something rustling around in a bag (I put some plastic bags in the cabinet). Unfortunately, he was too sleepy to realize that it was probably Nigel at the time.

No sign of him today, but I'm going to put out more food (I think I'll try some stinky moist food) and water and stay up to listen for him tonight. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Phew, at least you know he is still alive. I was becoming worried as I am sure you were. Good Luck tonight!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
LarryT said:
Hope it's him and not a mouse :)
That was my thought. Gnawed on plastic bits is more likely to be a mouse. What type of poop are you finding?

I'd turn off all the lights early this evening and lay on the floor nearby and wait for him to come out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I really hope its him.
Good Luck Tonight!!! :D

oh yah and to make sure its not a mouse u should do what ^they^ said look at the poopie hes makin', and maybe you'll find a quill or two, also put his wheel where his food is so if it is him he'll hop on and u might be able to hear him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great news! Nigel is alive and (hopefully) well! I still haven't been able to catch him, but I saw him just a few minutes ago. He took the food dish and tried to drag it away. By the time I heard him, he had dragged it to the other side where I couldn't easily reach, but when I shined the flashlight and looked in, there he was just out of my reach! He turned and looked at me, too. I was able to retrieve the food dish and add some more food, so now I'm just waiting for him to take the bait again.
Thanks again to everyone for all your advice!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts