Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
How odd! The quills, are they banded in that color, or does the orange cover the whole quills? To me it looks like an albino that was dyed...

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I agree it looks like he'es been dyed but when looking closer at the picture you can see individual white quills in with the coloured. It would be almost impossible to dye and still have those white quills. Interesting. Can you post more pictures, maybe some real clear closeups. :)

Another thought is he was dyed as a baby and new white quills are growing in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do people really dye hedgies? I gather this is bad?
It doesn't sound very nice :?
I've never even heard of that especially not when babies.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It's possible, there was an albino rescue that was dyed blue that is now in Florida, and people dye white cats all the time. :shock:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Im shocked, I've seen poodles being dyed pink, but i assumed that was just for dipsy stuck up women. Poor animals.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Where did the hedgie come from? You might want to contact them to get more information about the hedgie's background.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've seen a picture of Paul's albino boy, he looks completely normal. Slightly stained a bit, so he has a tinge of yellow, but that might be because he's from a pet store (bad food & general care may have caused the yellowing).

The hedgie Zerobyte posted does not look natural at all, though if it is, wow! Definitely strange.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Albinos that have a tinge of yellow are usually urine stained. The one here looks more orange than yellow. It doesn't look like urine stains.

Yes, there are MORONS that dye their pets. I believe they even make animal dye for dogs. An albino hedgie could be dyed orange fairly easily and safely by rubbing a fresh cut carrot on the quills or sweet potato. Both will dye orange and it's safe but good luck on getting it off. My Peanut annointed with sweet potato one time and she still had a tinge of orange to her quills when she died well over a year later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.