Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 3 month old hedgehog that I just purchased two days ago on Tuesday. I have had hedgehogs before but I have never had a hedgehog that has diarrhea. I have been feeding her exactly the same food as where I got her from and she seems to be acting normal other than the fact that she has diarrhea. I was wondering if anyone new any possible causes or any remedies?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
She may have an intestinal infection or something of the sort. How long has she had it? Has it been since she came home? If it doesn't clear up in the next day or two, personally I'd head to the vet to make sure there's no infections or anything going on. Usually stress from a house change gives green poop, not diarrhea. Make sure you monitor her carefully for dehydration, which is the biggest risk with diarrhea. You can test either by checking her urine (dark yellow urine usually indicates dehydration or not drinking enough, light yellow is normal), or doing a pinch test if she'll let you (pinch some skin on her back, if it doesn't go back to normal in less than 2 seconds, she's dehydrated). If she does get dehydrated, try syringing her some water or feeding water-heavy foods like watermelon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry I didn't answer back sooner. I think I found the problem. I call the petstore and they FORGOT TO MENTION that they changed her food the day I got her so I think that's what's causing it as she seems to have gotten much better. thanks for you suggestions im still going to monitor her for a few days

1 - 3 of 3 Posts