Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a female hedgehog yesterday! She is 10 weeks old and very sweet. I've been feeding her cat food as I read hedgehog food is crap. She's been eating it fine but I can't tell if she's drinking her water out of a bowl, and I put mealworms in her food dish and she hasn't noticed. She sleeps a lot which I read was normal but I'm afraid she isn't eating or drinking properly! Will she start drinking and such when she gets used to her new home?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It is normal for a hedgehog not to eat the first day they are home. The water might smell different than the water at the breeders. Give her some time and she will drink, if you don't notice any change in water consumption and she is not peeing, try switching her to a bottle. You can also offer her water through a syringe if she refuses to drink. Don't worry about the mealworms either. Some hedgehogs don't like them. Try offering them to her with a pair of tweezers. That way she can smell them and decided whether or not she wants them. It's only been a day, so just give her time to relax in her new home. :grin: Enjoy your new little one.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My hedgehogs drink, but there isn't a noticeable change in the water bowl. So if you are looking for your hedgie to empty the water bowl or drink a significant amount, it's not likely going to happen (unless your water bowl is really small).
Bottles generally aren't recommended and hedgehogs usually have a harder time adjusting to bottles.
She may not be interested in mealworms right now, or there just might be too many new things at once for her. Keep offering and she may decide to try them one day. One of my hedgehogs wants nothing to do with mealworms, while my other one devours them. So she may in fact just not like them as Desiree said.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree with Melanie. My hedgies drink from a bowl and there isn't noticeable change mostly unless, as mentioned, it's a tiny dish. And I still cannot get my girl to hop on the mealworm train. She absolutely won't touch them in any form (freeze-dried, canned, or live). And as it has been said, it has only been a day. She may still need time to adjust.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I tried mealworms about 4 times before Nara would even touch them. Now she wants to dive into the container when I get it out.
They are very stubborn and one day may like something and the next day, they won't touch it. (Kind of like toddlers)
Keep trying and remember just one new thing at a time, in case it causes digestive problems.

I never have a problem seeing if Nara drinks from her bowl. She always leaves crumbs from her whiskers in it. :lol:
I find that she drinks a whole bunch of water all at once.
Have you seen their tongues? I still am amazed at how long their tongues are after all this time.
Like someone else said, usually if they are peeing, they are drinking.
Since you just brought her home, there might be a difference in the "taste" of your water than what she was used to at the breeders.

Give her a few days to adjust. She's probably overwhelmed at the complete change in her life.

ML

Reactions: CoffeeKat
1 - 5 of 5 Posts