Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after Puff managed to rip a hole through the fleece blanket I bought from a pet store to line her cage (come to think of it, it was probably a really poorly made blanket) I switched to lining the cage with a vellux blanket, which seemed to be more durable and doesn't fray. However, she keeps digging through it, and ends up exposing the criss-cross plastic thread looking base of the blanket (not even sure what it is really). I don't feel safe about having it exposed in case she gets caught or something so I keep replacing it with un-ripped liners (since I made lots from the blanket I bought) but I can't keep having her destroy them. Is a good quality fleece blanket going to be better? Or is there some other more un-destructable liner out there that I could use?

·
Registered
273 Posts
if she is tearing thru it, give her a pile of fleece strips, she prob wants to burrow and dig, so a pile or fleece strips, or in the igloo,or a hedgie bag or sumin filled with fleece strips so she can dig and dig ect :)
if she tears thru the fleece, try using courdoroy(sp), a thicker stronger fabric, to prevent ripping or if the strips of fleece work, u wont need the new fabric!!!! good luck :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Sonic will scratch through fleece, but its mostly when she's sleeping. ( I wonder if she's like a dog, trying to burrow in her dreams ).

I'd shy away from fibrous materials such as denim. If your hedgehog tears through them, there could be threads that could potentially wrap around her foot and cause issues. The fleece strips idea works well (We used this for Sonic early on in our housing experiments).

Tip for cleaning the fleece strips: Get a dedicates bag (something like this), put all your strips in the bag, and wash on hot in the washing machine. Using a bit of vinegar in a Downy ball helps with odor/cleaning.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pezlin said:
My Sonic will scratch through fleece, but its mostly when she's sleeping. ( I wonder if she's like a dog, trying to burrow in her dreams ).

I'd shy away from fibrous materials such as denim. If your hedgehog tears through them, there could be threads that could potentially wrap around her foot and cause issues. The fleece strips idea works well (We used this for Sonic early on in our housing experiments).

Tip for cleaning the fleece strips: Get a dedicates bag (something like this), put all your strips in the bag, and wash on hot in the washing machine. Using a bit of vinegar in a Downy ball helps with odor/cleaning.
Thanks for the advice!
I cut up some vellux in fabric strips so it's like she has fabric shavings now lol
Is a un-scented gentle baby detergent okay to use or should I stick to purely vinegar for washing liners?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I use the unscented, no dye version of Tide, which seems to work fine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lilysmommy said:
I use the unscented, no dye version of Tide, which seems to work fine.
I was actually planning on getting some of that anyways for myself, cause I'm allergic to scents and dyes too, something Puff and I have in common :lol:

Thanks for the advice :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts