Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I'm having some issues with my hedgehog Hobson's skin! It appears almost white and crackly and dry, and I've tried everything! He's had this problem for almost as long as I've had him (2 years). It doesn't seem to overly bother him, no more quilling issues (he had some initially), minor itching but I think that's just normal. He is highly highly irritable but I don't know if that's related. Right now he is on a diet of Blue Buffalo Wild Weight formula (the grain-free) and Royal Canin Calm cat (a vet diet), both of which are in the proper fat and fiber and protein ranges for an active hedgie like him. He is also around 3 years old.

I have tried flaxseed oil, on his food and on his skin. I don't like having it on him because he is practically impossible to bathe so I never feel like I get it all off and he stays oily and cold. I also gave him an extremely small dose of Revolution a while ago, to see if it might have been mites or something and nothing changed. I have wanted to try humilac, which I've read good and bad things about, but it's on back order indefinitely. Has anyone tried anything else, like dermacool-hc? I would like something from the vet if possible but I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Just checking, have you had the vet check him for skin infections, especially fungal? Sometimes they present with just dry skin.

I would also do a full treatment of Revolution for mites, to actually rule it out - if you're not giving a full dose, it's very likely that it might help much, and since one dose is going to kill only the adults & not the eggs, you'll have new ones hatch out. So you need to do 2-4 doses, depending on what the vet recommends.

If you're absolutely sure it's not mites or an infection, then I would definitely give Humilac a try, or check with your vet for other options. I haven't seen too many other products attempted on here, so it'd be best to have your vet recommend something in case of unsafe ingredients. No matter what you try, make sure you test him with the smell before you put it on him, then only do a small patch first to check for bad reactions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts