Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What a great site!! I got my hedgie 3 weeks ago today from a pet store in Manchester with a good breeder. I did alot of reading before purchasing but this site is great for all my extra questions!!

Ive been a bit worried about my 12 week old litte girl, Honey. About four days ago she developed bad diarreha. We had given her some wet cat food (chicken) a couple of days before and so at first I put it down to the change in diet. However, on the second day it hadnt cleared up and had turned very yellowy-green, and smelt really bad. It was sticky and sometimes just like water. I made sure she was drinking lots and just gave her the dry cat biscuits she usually eats. Two days later she wasnt much better, and had started going off her food - which is quite unsual as she is a good eater.
Today I took her to the vets and came away with some antibiotics (which she had a week ago for a mild cold) some powder to put in her water, and some liquid food for her - which we have to syringe into her mouth. The vet said she may have a bacterial infection and hopefully it should be sorted with the medication - but she told me to take away all her dry food and just feed her on the liquid for a couple of days, leaving her plenty of water. On the way home from the vet my partner was telling me had had given her some other chicken cat food we had in the fridge the night before she got ill, however, he didnt know it was already a week old - I had just forgotten to throw it away!! Now Im thinking maybe her tummy bug was from gone-off food?? I just wondered if anybody could help with a couple of questions I have.......
1.Will she get hungry? I feel mean taking away her solid biscuits and feeding her liquids!?
2. Do you think she will get better!!? She's only a baby and obviously I'm really worried about her!
3. Does anybody else have any experiences that are similar to this? Id love to hear from you!

Although the vet was good, she wasnt experineced in dealing with hedgies, and Im finding it difficult to find one who is. At least members on here are experienced owners and your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,[attachment=0:s8rdu26r]DSC05116 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:s8rdu26r]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey

I'm sorry that Honey is sick. She's very cute. I don't know much about sick hedgehogs but recently my Quigley got sick and had to be on antibiotics. He had snuffly nose (not sure the cause). He got better after a while of being on antibiotics.

Good luck giving the antibiotics and I hope that Honey gets better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,I really hope Honey is ok. You had mentioned that your Honey was on antibiotics and I am wondering if she was on them when the diarreah started. A lot of the time antibiotics can give hedgies diareah because it is hard on their stomaches. Maybe try giving your hedgie some yogurt in a syringe to calm her tummy down (although milk products are not good for a hedgie, yogurt can be a nice exception in times like these as it replenishes good bacteria in the stomach). I use plain yogurt but apparently word has it that pina coloda yogurt is loved by many hedgies lol. I syringe feed my hedgies when their tummy's are acting up- 3-4 CCs 3-4 times a day (although I am not so sure about how much a baby should have)- baby food works well for me and also mashed kibble with water in it. Hope Honey gets better!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts