Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so im planing on going to go get my new little friend this week but i still need to tell my father. How should i ask him? hes the kind of guy whos scared that he will be the one cleaning the cage cause my older brother when he had a ferret and hamster my father was the one who had to clean the cage cause my brother was to lazy.But im 100% going to be loyal to this little gal clean handly wash her all the above.
How do i prove to my dad that what im saying is true.... hes going to be stubborn and say things like "dont ever ask me about it again" or "no i dont want a rodent in my house" (even tho we have dogs that are probly more dirty then a hedgehog...)

ANY advice would be great full

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had to convince my father ( I am 12 and he says exactly what you said " I dont want to talk about it") aswell he had no idea what a hedgehog was he thought it was some kind of boar cuz of hedge "hog" lol
HE DID NOT WANT A RODENT AND DID NOT THINK i WAS RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH to care for one.( BTW hedgies don't really stink and are not rodents.)
sooo.. I started to show him I was responsible.
And I started to save up a lot of money. and then showed him everything I had bought and I showed him all my emergency money. and although he said no I saw he was starting to get convinced. (this took a bit BTW)

So I am horrible at making power point presentation type things.
So I worked very hard and I know this sounds veryy stupid and weird, but I put together a 35 slide power point :lol:
it pretty much said EVERYTHING on this sight.
and I told him to see it and he did and I listed some websites (including this one ) and he started to become quite interested in hedgies.

I reread your post and you said u were getting him this week and you need advice on how to ask him. so everything above is no use :lol:
does your mother know? she could help
what I did was when it came down to really asking him I asked my friend who has a hedgie. to bring him over and show him to my dad and my dad really liked the hedgie.
So yeAH. :lol:
SRY I couldn't really say anything helpful :( :lol:
sry this was long too
All I can say is good luck and I hope ur dad agrees w/ u :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
Several questions.....How old are you? Where are you getting the hedgehog? Who is gonna pay for the hedgehog and its care (like vet bills)?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Oh yeah that is a good question^
I do all of that myself and aways have emergency vet money in hand, so my dad really trusts me. I make my own money by babysitting and sometimes I help my elderly neighbor walk the dog its not a lot but when u save up it is :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
i think if you havent asked your father about getting a hedgehog, telling him you plan on getting one in a week wont help your case, at all. and if he says its not going to happen... i would wait until maybe youre a bit older and have a real job. give him time to understand that you can take care of a living creature who is anything but cheap to have. a decent vet is a bit spendy, and if there are any emergencies (heaven forbid) some spare cash wont begin to cover the costs of medicine or surgeries. maybe you should try something a bit easier to handle first to show your dad how responsible you are before you tackle the big responsibility and costs of a hedgehog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im 17 i got a job while i go to collage and i got the money for the hedgy, its just my father is so stubborn!!! and my mother cant do much as my parents are divorced and she lives 4000km away from me lol and im geting it from a well known breader in my home town ottawa canada. i know this women from one of my friends from school who owns a hedgehog 2.

edit* i own 2 dogs (family dogs) and im the one who feeds them every morning as im the first up and there hungry early
i pick there poop up if they poop in the house cause my brother is really germaphobic and wont touch anything like that if his life counts on it
i wash them and so on
the major problem is my dad is just so uneducated about stuff he only knwos one thing and one thing only accounting and everything else what ever...

·
Registered
47 Posts
well then since you are that old, and your father still says no, wait until you move out and have the resources to have a hedgehog. just because your friend has one and can take care of it doesnt mean you can. it also doesnt mean you cant, im not saying that, but maybe you should think about what responsibilites are ahead of you a little more before jumping right into getting one. and if you have done all you can do, read up on them, asked your friend about everything you need, and have all the money your hedgie will need and your father still says no, it would be a good idea to just wait :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RAWR!! LOLS
i been wanting one for months now i know so much about them ive read like everypost on this site lol my friends mom even has a hole kit made for me and so on. its just my father i might as well just give him the guilty trip saying "well what the **** erick(brother ) was aloud a ferret and a hamster(like 3) why couldnt i get a hedgehog something that dosnt smell(hardly compared to a hamster and a ferret, ferrets smell horrible) and im the one doing the work not you i promis the day u think im not keeping up to my promise ill give her back to my friends mom for free no refunds( that will never happen :D)"

what u think about that lols

·
Registered
244 Posts
good luck !!!u also might want to tell your dad that they are not rodents, and they have no smell pretty much except when they get poopy on themselves. ( they have strongish smelling pee and their poop isn't that nice smelling either) :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
skinnyj0e said:
im 17 i got a job while i go to collage and i got the money for the hedgy, its just my father is so stubborn!!! and my mother cant do much as my parents are divorced and she lives 4000km away from me lol and im geting it from a well known breader in my home town ottawa canada. i know this women from one of my friends from school who owns a hedgehog 2.
There are no breeders in Ottawa, at least there shouldn't be as it is illegal to breed or sell hedgehogs in Ottawa. If someone in Ottawa is breeding they are doing it illegally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how is it illegal its not on the list on the site and i saw many hedgehogs in the outaouais region... and why is there a hole list of hedgehog breeders in ontario in the breeders list?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It's not illegal to own them in Ottawa but breeding or selling is illegal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, I'm going to give you the "parent" response:

"You're telling me that, after I made it clear that there were to be no hedgehogs in this house, you went ahead, behind my back, and bought one anyway? What did you think, that I wouldn't notice?

Contact whoever you need to contact and take it back immediately. As long as you live under my roof, as long as I'm responsible for this house and you, you will abide by my rules. And for thinking that you can sneak things behind my back and try to make a fool of me, you're grounded for 30 days AND you have to clean the garage.

A truly responsible person would have discussed this before making any purchases and a truly mature person would have accepted the decision, no matter what it is."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh okay well guess my friens mom doing it on the down low, or shes not a breeder and her hedgys probly had babies then lols

p.s nancy i pmed you

and p.s hedgemom i havnt even paid a penny saying im *planning* on going to get her isnt written on rock, and!! i havnt even asked my father all the comments above quoting my dad were just phrases i would guess my dad would say....

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Here's my take on situations like this. Do not just get a hedgehog without telling him, and tell him after. It won't go over well, for you or the hedgehog. Take all of the information you've learned on food, housing, behavior, health, and environment needs and put together a presentation of some sort to teach your dad more about hedgehogs. If he relents and says fine, you get a hedgehog. If he still doesn't want you to get one, put on your big kid pants and deal with it. Plenty of time to get one when you move out of your dad's house and can make your own rules. To me, this all rather falls under the same category as wanting a hedgehog when you live in a state or area where they're illegal to own at all. It's not worth the risks, either to the hedgehog, or to your relationship with your dad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it all just seems real sketchy skinnyjoe. it went from a well known breeder to maybe your friends moms hedgie just had a few babies.. maaaaayyybbbeee it would be best for you and the hedgie you plan on getting to wait until you do a bit more research on where youre getting your little guy and when youll actually be allowed to have one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and again no were in any of my post did i say im geting it from a legit breeder just from my friends mom.... and again there is no where in any of my post did i say im geting it behind my dads back....

·
Registered
47 Posts
skinnyj0e said:

edit* i own 2 dogs (family dogs) and im the one who feeds them every morning as im the first up and there hungry early
i pick there poop up if they poop in the house cause my brother is really germaphobic and wont touch anything like that if his life counts on it
i wash them and so on
the major problem is my dad is just so uneducated about stuff he only knwos one thing and one thing only accounting and everything else what ever...
homebro... a well known breeder generally means a legit breeder.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
skinnyj0e said:
Right there you said you are getting it from a "well known breader (sic) in my home town ottawa canada". You never said it was a friends mom until you were told there are no Legal Breeders in Ottawa.

If one of my kids had waited till just a few days before getting a pet to tell me I would be much much more upset and against it than if they had acted maturely and talked to me before planning on getting one. I think you have alot of growing up to do..and maybe try getting your story straight and sticking to one story instead of changing it as you go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well im really sorry.. 4 the misinformation.
but i didnt mean a legit breeder and im not here to start a argument like some are trying.
oh well this is over just going ot ask the dad tomorow and get this over with..

oh well

1 - 20 of 83 Posts