Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here and my hedgehog just gave birth this morning!

She's not really paying attention to her litter except for 1 or 2 and I've seen her pick up her babies with her mouth. I'm scared she might try to eat them. :S Is this normal? So far, i'm trying not to bother her cage as much as possible - this is what fellow hedgehog owners told me to do. I wasn't expecting her to give birth so there's no box/shelter inside the cage prepared for the mother and her babes. I don't think I should add a box at this point either 'cause it might agitate her.

Any advice would really help! :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
wow! That's exciting/scary! :shock:

Well first welcome to HHC! I can't really advise you because I've never been in your situation. It seems like it's very important not to stress mom and you are doing that already.

Hopefully some of the breeders will chime in soon to help. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
"If you have concerns that the mom is not doing her job, give her time. Sometimes it is hard to tell that a mom is taking care of her babies, and hard to tell the difference between careful carrying of the baby and injuring it. If you disturb the mother, she is either going to kill the babies or reject them all, leaving you with a difficult and almost impossible job of handfeeding."

Source: http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content.php?217-Breeding-Stage-2-28-days-gestation-2-weeks-post-birth

There's more good info to be found if you click the link. But I'll echo what Susana said... hang in there and an experienced breeder will chime in soon. You could also PM one (or more) - Nancy is one such person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice! last night, the mom started nursing her babies :D it seems like she's starting to get a hang of it. I'm still wondering though if I could add a box for a nest? or would i just end up disturbing them?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What type of bed does mom have now? It is not a good idea to put anything new into the cage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nancy said:
What type of bed does mom have now? It is not a good idea to put anything new into the cage.
@Nancy: There are shavings in her cage and a transparent arch/cave that serves as her 'house' ever since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts