Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I use to wash my hedgies things such as his water bottle and dish? Is it ok to use regular dish soap like dawn or? My Hedgie also lives in a 50 gallon tank so I want to know if it's ok to clean the glass with glass cleaner or will that cause my Hedgie issues?

·
Registered
809 Posts
No glass cleaner. Nope. no way. Don't advise that.
You may well get some input on the tank as well.
As for dish soap? As long as you rinse it out well, it should be just fine. I run all my dishes, including the hedgies, through the dishwasher.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
No glass cleaner. I'll prove Grace true & say that I would recommend switching his cage to something more open. Glass tanks aren't recommended for hedgehogs due to how poor their ventilation is. Plastic-bottomed wire cages & C&C cages are also much lighter and easier to move, clean, etc.

For cleaning (either for the tank or another cage if you decide to switch), many people just use 50/50 vinegar and water. I also used chlorhexidine, which is a safe cleaner (used to clean before surgeries sometimes). If you stick with the tank, personally I'd make sure you wait 10-15 minutes after cleaning to put your hedgie back in to make sure that anything left in the air has settled and he won't be inhaling anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts