Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hedgie bessie was so sweet till today she keeps on making this puffing nose and rolling in a ball? she is always VERY SWEET? also she is biteing the towle i put her in to take her out and i am afraid to hold becuase i think she might bit me:( :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
You got an animal with teeth. Always be prepared for her to bite you.

She may be biting the blanket because she likes the taste. What detergent are you using?
If you let her bite long enough she may annoint..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Whats the name? My boys annoit over our fresh laundry..thats why I ask..

From what I read there is no KNOWN reason for them to annoint.. but what it is.. Is when they are in captivity and find a scent they like or a flavor they like they will bite a bit at it. Then they will twist up and put a foamy substance from their mouth onto their back.

Some have theorized that its from soemthing they like and want to remember.m some say its when they feel like they are threatened by a predator they will take a poisonous flower/plant make the foam and put it on their back. When the predator touched them the quills inject their saliva that they just on their back into the predator. Its used as an irratant.. There are a few more but I cant remember them off the top of my head. What ever the cause is, its sure cute to watch!

Here is a video of one of my boys, Needler, annointing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thats what my boys do right before they annoint.. Maybe she cant twist up because shes a fuller figure lady.. Or if you are trying to get her to stop she might be stopping before she finishes.

She could also just be playing some tug-o-war.. LOL

·
Administrator
3,709 Posts
Curling up and huffing/puffing is a defensive reaction. She sounds like something is startling her, she is uncertain about her surroundings and being defensive, or something is scaring her. You haven't had her that long, I would guess she is still adjusting.

As to why it happened now, maybe something startled her recently that has her uncertain about her surroundings. Have you changed anything? Maybe the environment the last day or two has been more noisy. Some new smell that she's concerned about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts