Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oliver has been eating a little less than regular & running a little less. I didn't think much of it until yesterday when I took him out of his cage to take him to my dads house he wasn't moving much. he just laid there in a ball with his head sticking out, completely calm & out of it. even in the car he closed his eyes to sleep. (very unlike him, in the car he normally moves around like crazy & digs in his blankets.) I didn't see his under belly until today when I woke him up to play. There was blood on his chin, center of his chest, art pit, lower stomach & near his boy parts. Of course I FREAKED OUT & gave him a quick bath with warm water to remove the blood to see what caused it. He wont sit still enough for me to really look at him so the pictures might be blurry since they were captured from a video.
There are red patches with white bumps on them. every I think i've found all of them I find another one. He seems to be in pain and when I first took him out of his cage it looked like he was crying... It's heart breaking & i'm doing everything I can to comfort him. :cry: they aren't bleeding anymore. I've already called the vet & I have an appointment for 3:20 tomorrow. Has anyone ever seen this before?? ): PLEASE HELP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Oh jeeze...the poor guy! :( I have no idea what it might be other than an allergic reaction or something. Nancy or Kalandra might be on soon & have some other ideas & suggestions. Keep us updated on how the vet visit goes and what the vet says...hopefully you can get your little guy feeling better soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh jeeze...the poor guy! :( I have no idea what it might be other than an allergic reaction or something. Nancy or Kalandra might be on soon & have some other ideas & suggestions. Keep us updated on how the vet visit goes and what the vet says...hopefully you can get your little guy feeling better soon. Good luck!
Thank You ): & I will for sure! I'm so nervous that when we get to the vet he wont come out of a ball ): Because he normally only lets me hold him & no one else. We've never been to the vet before ):

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE Jan 31st: (forgot to post yesterday) We went to the vet a few hours ago. She was trying to swab the red areas but he was huffing & balled up so she gave him back to me & he came out. She said the best thing would be for me to leave him there so they could sedate him & look at him while he slept. I agreed it would be best since they wanted to pluck quills & some other stuff that sounded pretty stressful for him. I put him down on the table infront of her & he tried running back to me & tried to climb up my sweater but she grabbed him & he started peeing all over himself and trying to get back to me ): It was the saddest thing. She put him in a shoe box and told me they would take good care of him ): I miss him already.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a more recent update: We just got him back, hes very stressed out. very twitchy too ever since he woke up from the procedure. he was very happy to see me & made a little fort in side of all my hair. he was huffing & popping more than he EVER has but as soon as we were in the car he started making a little less noise. They don't know whats wrong forsure but they think that it is some sort of fungus. she said they have to send their results into the lab to see what it is forsure. the arm pit looks a lot worse like its been bleeding & has now crusted over. its more purple now. Hes very happy to be home but not quite himself yet. like i said before, very flinchy. I feel really bad I have to take him back in 14 days. We were given medicine that is apparently chicken flavor, so he loves it. for now i'm hoping the medicine helps. the breeder has not texted me back since I told her that he has some sort of fungus growing all over him & it's spreading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts