Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is Audrey Reyes, hedgie owner from the Philippines. The oldest hedgehog of mine, Bonnie, has recently became weaker. She used to be such a fast runner, but I have noticed that she became shaky whenever she walks. I am assuming that it isn't WHS because she's, I think, almost 3 years old (we got her as a full-grown hedgie without knowing her exact age). What worried me even more was that there has been blood in her urine. It isn't a regular thing because she often urinates without blood.
I already had her checked in the vet and according to them, there isn't anything wrong with her physically except for the mites that she had, which the vet said that it might have some connection to the symptoms I told her. I already had her mites treated, but the blood in the urine still kept coming back. She still slips whenever she walks.
Can anyone please help me regarding this one? Thank you so much!

Note: Finding a vet here in the Philippines for hedgies isn't that easy. The closest one that I brought Bonnie to was almost 3 hours away :(

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hedgehogs don't have blood in their urine for no reason and you are very right to be concerned about her. The weakness is another big red flag. The most common concerns would be a urinary tract infection, bladder stone, or cancer. All of these can cause blood in the urine and weakness. A test of her urine can tell you if there is an infection or possibly cancer. Collecting hedgehog urine is borderline impossible, but would be worth a shot. A stone would only be shown on an X-Ray. Whatever is causing the blood will require treatment, and unless you can convince your vet to consider more internal reasons (as opposed to physical reasons), your hedgehog's health will likely decline. Hedgehogs can seem to be doing okay and suddenly take a turn for the worse.

Mites should never cause weakness or blood in the urine, it sounds like your vet might not be the most knowledgeable about hedgehogs. Personally, I would investigate other vets, but I understand that you are quite limited in the Philippeans.

No matter what you decided to do, I'm sorry that you are going through this, having a sick pet is always very difficulT.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
A sterile urine draw directly from the bladder will show if the blood is from the bladder or the uterus. I would bet it's coming from the uterus considering g the symptoms she is showing. She is probably weak from the blood loss. What did they treat the mites with?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hedgehogs don't have blood in their urine for no reason and you are very right to be concerned about her. The weakness is another big red flag. The most common concerns would be a urinary tract infection, bladder stone, or cancer. All of these can cause blood in the urine and weakness. A test of her urine can tell you if there is an infection or possibly cancer. Collecting hedgehog urine is borderline impossible, but would be worth a shot. A stone would only be shown on an X-Ray. Whatever is causing the blood will require treatment, and unless you can convince your vet to consider more internal reasons (as opposed to physical reasons), your hedgehog's health will likely decline. Hedgehogs can seem to be doing okay and suddenly take a turn for the worse.

Mites should never cause weakness or blood in the urine, it sounds like your vet might not be the most knowledgeable about hedgehogs. Personally, I would investigate other vets, but I understand that you are quite limited in the Philippeans.

No matter what you decided to do, I'm sorry that you are going through this, having a sick pet is always very difficulT.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am really worried, and I'll have her checked soon. The vet here for hedgehogs are very costly, and even though I want to bring her as soon as possible, I just can't. It's true that it's difficult to see a sick pet. I just lost a hedgie less than a week ago because of WHS, I just can't lose another one :(
I'll ask about the things you have mentioned, it will help me with her next check up. Again, thank you for your reply. I appreciate it so much :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A sterile urine draw directly from the bladder will show if the blood is from the bladder or the uterus. I would bet it's coming from the uterus considering g the symptoms she is showing. She is probably weak from the blood loss. What did they treat the mites with?
Thanks for replying! I will try to have her urine tested on her next checkup. I just wish that she would give us a sample since she wets herself whenever she gets nervous and isn't familiar with the place.
She is deteriorating lately, and I have noticed how sad she is these past few days :( They treated the mites with Revolution.
Again, thanks for your reply. I appreciate it so much :)

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The thing that needs to be determined is where the blood is coming from. At this point it's unknown if it's coming from her urininary system or her reproductive system. They both share an "exit" so it could be from either system.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Even if you get a sample that she has urinated it won't help to find out where the blood is coming from. Blood in voided urine can be from either the bladder or uterus so that's why you need to have a sterile needle draw done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts