Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I couldn't sleep and smelled something terrible in Olive's cage. I looked and she had diarrhea all over her wheel!!! I cleaned the wheel and her cage immediately, then picked her up in a towel and got as much of it off her as I could, bath tomorrow. I was at an exotics store and the owner talked me into the exotic pet hedgehog food against my better judgement and I had put a small amount mixed in with her regular food. I just threw out all her food and washed her dish, then put her normal stuff back into her bowl. Do you think that's why she got sick? There is no other diarrhea in her cage, and this must of happened in the last hour. Should I take her to the vet or wait and see if it gets worse?!?! I am so freaked out right now and feel so bad. I shouldn't of given her it. It was like dark brown water with pieces of poo in it. Please reply ASAP

·
Registered
658 Posts
This sticky will help a lot, it'll tell you what to look out for and solutions:

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/68-fecal-intestinal-issues/31-scoop-poop.html

If Olive's diarrhea persists for more than a day or two, definitely take her to the vet. I would actually make a vet appointment now for a couple days from now, just to be safe.

P.S. The sticky doesn't mention this, but you could also run to the pharmacy and try getting bacillus acidophilus, it's a probiotic. A few sprinkles on her food may help clear up her GI tract. But I would do what the sticky says first. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts