Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I just got my first baby hedgie today and everything is going well so far but there are a few things I haven't been able to find in my research on them.

1. How many times a day should I be feeding my hedgie and how much?

2. I have a %100 polyester robe I was thinking of cutting up for the igloo in her cage and it has the same feel as fleece, is this okay?

3. I'm using Carefresh for her cage lining but was thinking of switching to newspaper because its less of a mess and doesn't cost me anything. Should I shred the newspaper or can I just lay it down flat or is newspaper not recommended?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Congrats on the new hedgie and welcome to HHC :)

1. Free feeding is the best way in my opinion. What I did when I first got mine and didn't know how much he ate was to fill his crock full (mine is a small crock about 2-3 inches across and around 2" deep) and count all the pieces then I would count them again in the morning. I did this for awhile to make sure I had a good average then I added extra. You'll get a better idea as time goes a long but you'll want to make sure every morning when you wake up that there is extra left in the bowl this way you know he was able to eat as much as he needed.

2. Its hard for me to tell about the robe without being able to see the fabric but the main thing you want to look for is that there is no loose strings and that a toe nail wouldn't be easily snagged on the type of fabric it is. If the robe isn't fleece you'll probably have to make sure that you put a finished edge on it.

3. Newspaper isn't a recommended bedding. Some of the main cons are that it isn't absorbant, drys slowly making it cold, some newspaper inks are toxic, the ink will lift off when wet a lot of times and make a mess throughout the cage when the hedgie walks through it. One option that a lot of people on here use is fleece liners. There is an initial investment of buying the fleece but they are reusable because you just wash and dry them.

Can't wait to see pics of the new hedgie :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
1. I feed once a day about 2 table spoon and it's more then enough for my guys (I have "leftover" the morning after)

2. Like Hedgieonboard said, without seeing the fabric it's hard to tell. Fleece is quite cheap and safe fabric.

3. Newspaper is more of a mess since it's not so absorbant so when wet it gets cold (not good for the hedgies). I prefer fleece liners with a litter pan with Yesterday's New (pellet made from de-inked newspaper)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was using carefresh for a while when I first got Puff and I found it very dusty and messy, and that you ended up throwing so much of it out when it got soiled that it got to be quite expensive. Liners are way cheaper in the long run, and you don't have to deal with the mess or dust of the bedding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts