Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I literally got my hedgehog Felix yesterday and I played in a little bit yesterday and he was OK tonight when I got home from work I've been trying to play with him and he keeps poking me and I'm trying to figure out why any pointers he's about seven weeks old I literally just got him so any help To why he is poking it would be very helpfuland any help would be much appreciated I just I'm trying to get him used to me and everything in any pointers for anybody:confused:and any help would be much appreciated I just I'm trying to get him used to me and everything in any pointers for anybody

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well....he's a hedgehog. Hedgehogs poke.

The quills are a hedgehogs main (pretty much only) defense. When they feel afraid or are startled -- which is most of the time -- they use them. To varying degrees, they ball up, raise their quills, twitch, huff, pop, hiss, etc. It's their way of saying, "You're a big giant thing, and I'm not sure you're not going to eat me, so stay away."

But you can't stay away. You have to teach him that you aren't going to hurt him, and he's not going to scare you away. One trick to help in that process is to wear or sleep in a shirt for a couple of days/nights and put it in his cage for a few days before laundering it. It'll smell like you, and because it's in his cage where he's safe, he'll start to associate your scent with safety. In the week before we brought Fitzgerald home, our entire family slept with sleep sacks (my husband even took his on a business trip) and then put them in his cage.

Other than that, it really just takes time. He's going to huff and ball up and try to poke you, and you have to handle him anyway, and you have to do it every day for at least half an hour a day. And even then, it may take weeks or even months for him to start warming up to you. And even when he does, he's still going to huff and poke a little and ball up sometimes because he's a hedgehog, and that's what they do. You just have to be persistent, consistent, and confident.

The good news is that bonding can involve almost anything. He can sleep in your lap or in your hands while you work on the computer or watch TV. You can let him climb on you as you lay on the floor, or you can put him in a playpen and interact him as he plays (note: never leave your hedgehog unsupervised outside of his escape-proof cage). You can take him with you as you run errands or move around the house -- particularly if you use a soft carrier or bonding bag. As I said, almost anything can work. You just have be involved in whatever he's doing or let him be involved in whatever you're doing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Are bonding bags expensive
Some are, and some aren't. My soft carrier from WhimSewCool on Etsy was $55, but the design she has listed now is $28. Your best bet is to search for something like snuggle sacks on Etsy. There are a lot of different shops selling everything from hides to toys to bonding bags/carriers to snuggle sacks at various price points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts