Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked it up today, he's 5 weeks old. We named him Oreo since he is black & white. He is just adorable and he's very gentle. We woke him up when we went to pick him up and he didn't get mad. The only thing we forgot to take with us was tissues, he pooped on us. I just had a question. I know he needs 12 hours of natural light, so does that mean he also needs 12 hours of darkness? Because I will be using a heat lamp to keep him warm in the temperature he needs. 70-80 degrees.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Five weeks old is a little young. Hedgehogs really shouldn't be separated from their mama until they are six weeks old.

Yes, he needs at least 12 hours of darkness. Hedgehogs are nocturnal.
Go for a ceramic heat emitter, or space heater, instead of the lamp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gnarly said:
Five weeks old is a little young. Hedgehogs really shouldn't be separated from their mama until they are six weeks old.

Yes, he needs at least 12 hours of darkness. Hedgehogs are nocturnal.
Go for a ceramic heat emitter, or space heater, instead of the lamp.
Should I be worried that he's less then 6 weeks old?
I will be going to petsmart to pick up a 150 watt infrared heat emitter + a Repti Temp.
I used a space heater, but you can't control the temp, so I stayed up all night to make sure the temp didn't run above 78.
Now if I get a controller (repti temp) how does it know what the degree is within the cage? (might be a stupid question)

·
Registered
336 Posts
You need to get a thermostat, so it will shut off and turn on when it needs to.

We use a space heater here, but it has a thermostat that allows you to control the temperature.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gnarly said:
You need to get a thermostat, so it will shut off and turn on when it needs to.

We use a space heater here, but it has a thermostat that allows you to control the temperature.
Yea I just ordered it, the pet shops around here only carry RHEOSTAT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I also be worried? Oreo goes on the wheel, eats, poo, wheel, eats, poo etc.... or is this just natural?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered the Thermostat controller and it will get here on Wednesday. So until then I guess I can use the rheostat or just set the space heater and space it from the cage and keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Also if possible can someone post a picture of them using a zoomed thermostat controller (digital one where it turns on and off). I'd like to see where to place it in the cage. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It doesn't matter where you put the controller. It's the probe that reads the temperature. I put the probe at the back of the cage right where the plastic bottom and wire top meet. In that position there is less risk of a curious hedgie messing with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, when the controller comes in I'll try that. Right now I have a thermostat reader on the floor of his cage. I might also get him a heating pad just because my room for some reason is colder then other rooms and drops in temperature. So hopefully the heating pad on half the cage will help him during those times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there! We will be picking up my 14 y.o. son's hedgie on the 21st and I was looking at buying a ceramic heater from Target that has a built in thermostat for his room (which, unfortunately, is the coldest room in the house). Would that be ok to warm up the entire room?

Also, I was wondering if anyone had patterns for hedgie hats or snuggle sacks or cage liners that I could start sewing for him. I know that there are people who sell them but I'd rather make them.

We are so excited. My son has wanted a hedgie for quite a few years but we wanted to wait until he was more than ready to take on the responsibility. Of course, dad and I will be keeping an eye on him, but he will be the responsibility of my son. He's very good with our cats and dog and was also very good with our ball python. He's gonna be a great hedgie dad.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jessica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts