Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself and (of course) bombard you all with questions about my baby. My goodness, I read all your advice prior to picking up my baby but there really is nothing that can prepare you for the experience, not to mention the instant love! My baby is 11 weeks old, she's a pinto named Winnifred Snootz Bristle Butt. She's been very quick at training me, luckily I knew from the beginning not to try to train her! :lol:

My questions regard Snootz's lighting schedule. I've been keeping her in 13 hours of light (just a lamp I keep on in her room), from 6am to 8pm. When on this schedule, she will only wake up on her own between 130am and 230am, and will go back to sleep by 530am. She will wake up for five minutes max. around 3pm, eat two peices of kibble, and head right back to her hedgebag. When (by accident) I left the light off all day (but still had natural sunlight streaming through the windows) she was up on her own runnning on her wheel at 9pm. My question is should I let her be with the natural sunlight, or try to stick to a light schedule as reccomended by you all and her breeder?

Also, I keep her in my bedroom, keep the lights out for her when I go in to go to bed, but just the sound of the tv (on VERY VERY low) I fall asleep to keeps her on the 2am to 530am schedule. Her cage in not in the light of the tv, so it must only be the sound that is so bothersome to her. I can't move her to another room, and I am unable to fall asleep without some soft noise on.

(She is under a ceramic heat emitter, these were not hibernation attempts. She is on fleece, had a 2x3grid c&c cage to run in, toys, a castle, a cakewheel, free feeding kibble and water dishes, a hedgebag and a litterbox, the cage is always 74-76 degrees)

I know this is quite longwinded, and if I missed somthing crucial when I searched, I'm sorry. However any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Also, thank you for all the help! This site was amazing when I was preparing for little Snootz to arrive.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Mine doesn't like to come out if the computer is on. I think its the flickering that is scary to them. Even if the cage is blocked from the light the flickering can be seen all around and on the walls too.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes, the flickering of tv or computer monitor is what bothers them. Whenever I have a hedgehog in the bedroom, I always put a towel or blanket in front of the cage to block the light from the TV.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have to throw a towell over Quigley's cage so he'll get up too. He is in our main room and we are always up late I don't completely cover it just enough so it will be darker for him. If you can block the light from the TV or use a radio as LarryT said she might come out more. However I've also heard that babies are sleepy and are not up much so this might be a baby thing?

If it is the noise bothering her I'm sure she will adjust to it. It seems like most hedgehogs get used to ambient noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant! I threw a towel over half her cage when the tv is on and she doesn't notice a thing. I've seen her out and running on her wheel by 10.

It would not have occured to me that the flickering was bothersome. Thank you all for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts