Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Halley, but you can call me Hal or even just by my username. I am a very new hedgie owner. I acquired a male who is supposed to be about four months old. I'm not sure how much truth is in that estimate, but we'll stick to it for now. I've been trying to talk myself out of getting a hedgehog for just over a year, but I finally broke down and started trying to get comfortable around the hedgehogs at my local reptile store. Like many new owners, I was worried about the quills and handling. I thought that if I could get used to holding the hedgies at the reptile store, then I could confidentially hold one of my own. I'd planned on getting a hedgie from a breeder at the local reptile expo.

The plan to use the shop hedgies to get me used to the quills backfired. I fell in love with a male who was nice enough to huff once or twice, but then came out of his ball to sniff at me and even lick my fingers. It wasn't like a dog or even a cat would lick you, but more like a bearded dragon would lick you to figure out if you're food. Nonetheless, I had a heartstring or two pulled. I didn't have the money on me to buy him, but I worked out a deal with the shop owner to put him on hold for a week. The owner usually doesn't do holds, but knows me and knew I wouldn't screw him over. Plus, his wife really likes my hairless guinea pig. :)

So, after getting the money together after paying bills, I picked him up yesterday. It took just under an hour for him to let me lift him up (after he walked onto my hand out of the little carrier I brought him home in) and then to unroll long enough to see if he was a he. Finally, I saw that tell-tale sign of male parts and that decided his name.

I am now a proud owner of Javo, the sweet. If he had been a girl, the name would be Java. So, because he's a he, I changed the last "a" to an "o", so it's pronounced about the same. I wanted the name to be coffee related, but knew I couldn't use that exact name because then my rotten dog would expect to see a Starbucks cup and receive a little whipped cream. So that wouldn't work.

I've tried not to bug him too much during the day, but what can you do when you want to make sure he's warm enough? I've had him for about 24 hours, so things are set up just yet, but I have found out a few things.

The first, he doesn't mind fleece whatsoever. I have him in a 10 gallon tank for the next day or two so that I can learn a little bit about his personal habits such as if he drinks out of a bowl, how he likes to sleep during the day, and if his stools are normal. I have a coroplast cage in the works for a temporary cage.

The second thing I learned is that he seems to know the dog isn't thrilled about him. I think he likes to torture her a bit. She's very well trained with small animals as she was raised with them (when I got her, she was smaller than my guinea pigs). She usually is very excited to see small furries, but I think the quills completely upset her. She usually likes to groom furries, but can't with Javo. I think the fact that he also voices his opinion about her getting too close. That will change as he settles, I can guarantee it. Anyway, he did seem to think her belly was the perfect spot to ball up against, much to my mutt's dismay. I got the most sorrowful looks from her. It was very funny, because as we all sat on the couch, the mutt laying next to me and Javo balled up in a mostly-asleep state, Javo would wake up every so often and sniff round. He would then practically beeline toward the mutt's belly and if she tried to move, he would ball up and hiss. She would freeze and Javo would unroll long enough to get closer and ball up to sleep. Poor mutt would look at me like she was saying help. This entire process would repeat every time I moved the mutt away from Javo. Poor dog.

Lastly, I learned that Javo very much knows what mealworms are and loves them. I'm glad I don't have to teach him that one. I tried scrambled egg this morning, but he was more interested in sleeping, which is understandable. I guess I'll try again tonight for the egg and maybe a cricket or two.

Anyway, there's the long of it. I'll have to get some pictures of Javo in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hello welcome!! We have a bunch of great stickied topics that will help you with everything you need to know about hedgehogs. :) Plus we have some great members that can answer any questions you can't find the answers to. :3

And yes post lots of pictures :geek:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Awww, lucky Javo to go home with you. I acquired Pliny in a similar way. I was looking at hedgies in a petstore and the girl working there gave him to me to hold. He made a beeline into the crook of my neck and whiffled away happily. I just couldn't say 'no' to him (and glad I didn't!)
My boyfriend's dog is absolutely terrified of him, which is hilarious because she usually isn't afraid of anything. Pliny doesn't care about her at all, just waddles on his merry little way. The cutest part is the dog trying to get over her fear of him, she forces herself to stay still and let him come up to her, but as soon as he gets close she loses it and leaps out of the way. She tried to pet him once, but panicked once her paw touched his quills (which were flat). Oh animals, how we love you. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts