Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

I'm a lerker and decided to join up! I don't have a hedgehog yet and I'm doing as much research I can until I commit to buy one. They are so cute and they don't have dander! yay!~ I can see from everyone here that you guys really love these little guys~! Hope I can own one of my own soon!~ Perhaps a little boy!~

~ten_ten

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Welcome to HHC. :)

I hate to say this but yes they do have dander. In fact, hedgehogs are prone to dry skin so many tend to have more than other small animals of the same size. :( They are not hypo allergenic as some sites state.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nancy said:
Welcome to HHC. :)

I hate to say this but yes they do have dander. In fact, hedgehogs are prone to dry skin so many tend to have more than other small animals of the same size. :( They are not hypo allergenic as some sites state.
O wow I did not know that! I forgot which site I saw that on but thanks for the heads up. Do you know if their dander is different from (for say) a rabbit? And would you advise me to hold one and see if the hedgie makes my nose run haha?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I don't know if it's different from rabbit dander, but if you think there's a possibility you could be allergic to them, you should definitely visit a breeder or a pet store nearby and hold one to see if it bothers you. Be careful though, someone on here wasn't bothered by their hedgehog at the breeder's house, but once she brought her home and was handling her more, she started showing signs of allergies to the hedgehog.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I believe Hedgehog dander is different then Rabbit dander.
Because I'm allergic to rabbit's but I am not allergic to Hedgehogs.
We have 4 in our bedroom and I don't have any problems at all.

But I would recommend visiting a breeder or pet store or something before getting one just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
There are people who are allergic to everything but are fine with hedgehogs. Others are allergic to nothing except hedgehogs. Rarely do allergies show up on first exposure. It takes repeated exposures to become allergic. I've had a couple of babies come back because their owners became allergic and I have numerous re-homes here that were given up due to the owners developing allergies. In all cases, the allergies started a couple of months after getting the hedgehog and reached the point of having to re-home the hedgehog about a year later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huh wow thats really interesting. I wonder what makes some people alergic and others not? I'll have to find someone interested in keeping him for me if I am allergic. I live really far away from the nearest store that has a hedgehog T.T

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Allergies are hard to predict and are often cumulative meaning you can test allergic to numerous things that don't bother you but put two or three of them together and suddenly you have a reaction. I'm allergic to many things including cats yet we have 7 of them and they don't bother me. Dogs which we don't have just about kill me to be around even without touching one. On occasion the hedgehogs will bother me but it happens when I've been in contact with something else. In the spring when the lilacs are in bloom just about everything bothers me. The smell of fresh cut grass will make me more sensitive to the hedgehogs and a real biggy that makes just about everything bother me is when one of my neighbours gets their lawn sprayed. Thank goodness for the ban which started this year. I will breathe easier this summer.

Our ferrets bother me but it took about 3 years to start. It's only their poo that affects me, I'm fine with them but when their litter box is dirty I wheeze.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O wow nancy that's alot of allergies! I totally get the flower/pollen thing. For me I mostly get allergic to anything with really long hair. I have 2 short haired dogs that live inside and I'm fine with them. I have a rabbit too but he lives outside and when i change his cage i have to shower to get all the rabbit essence off of me haha! or else i'd be sad :? !

I'll have to visit some hedgies before I decide to buy one~!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.