Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new here, but just wanted to introduce myself to the hedgehog community.:)

I recently was given a four year old hedgehog by a relative moving overseas, and am a relatively inexperienced owner.

I have had several other pets, but never any kind of rodent. So far it has been a great experience, and I am looking forward to learning more about these awesome (and spiky!) pets.

Does anyone have any tips on how to win over a hedgehog? He is much more social than a few days ago, but still seems quite nervous (naturally). I appreciate any and all advice!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I had this response and my battery died so this is the abridged version.
Pick a t shirt out with no tears or loose threads. One you don't want anymore. Wear it, maybe to bed a day or two. Then without washing it, put it in your hedgehogs cage. Basically the goal here is your smell will be associated with his safe zone.
Get him out every evening for at least 30 minutes. Let him play in a hedgehog safe area if he is an explorer. Be part of that area. If he would rather sit still, catch up on a tv show or browse the internet.

And for what it's worth, you still do not have a rodent. Small animal or pocket pet, yes.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Two covered the awesome "t-shirt trick" as well as bonding. She also covered that hedgehogs aren't rodents. They belong to the order erinaceomorpha while rodents belong to the order rodentia.

So I guess I just need to add the reminder that bonding with a hedgehog requires a lot of patience, persistence, and consistency. Thirty minutes, every day, letting him take the lead (to an extent). He'll probably always be a bit nervous at times because he's a prey animal, but he will eventually get used to you and your smells, sounds, and routines, and he'll keep the defensive behaviors at a minimum. In the meantime, remember that it's imperative to handle him even when he's behaving defensively. Huffing, balling up, popping, raised quills, etc are all meant to tell you, "Stay away!" Your job is to essentially say, "Get over it. I'm not going to hurt you" by handling him anyway and letting him know he can't scare you away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts