Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cruising the forums for a little while now, but this is my first post.

I'll be bringing home my first hedgie this Saturday. I've done some research for a little over a year on hedgehogs and more extensively the past few months. I can't wait to bring home my new baby and thank you all for the wonderful information I've found on the forums.

Pictures soon to follow!!

Megan

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi there, welcome! I'm pretty new too, just joined about a week ago and got my first hedgie, Hector, last week on Tuesday.

Where are you getting your little one and do you know what name and such you are going to use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to Millermeade farms (Gail Dick) in Montpelier, OH. A bit of a drive, but well worth it.

I have not picked out any names yet. I like to go off of the pet's personality before picking a name, which is what my family has done for our 4 dogs in the past. I also do not know if I will have a male or female - Gail likes for her customers to meet several hedgies and pick the one who's personality best matches the new owner, and I do not have a preference.

I do, however, have everything ready for the hedgie's arrival :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ohio? I live in Indiana.

Yeah, I know what you mean about going and choosing which ones personality best suits you and then deciding a name off of that. I did that with my boy, Hector. We jokingly passed some names around for a boy or girl, but Hector wasn't one of them.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I got Lily from Gail too!! :D I'm sure you'll really like her, she's so nice. And she spent at least an hour with my mom and I, helping us get used to handling a hedgehog and making sure she answered any and all questions we both had. She was wonderful, and still is. I've emailed her several times since I got Lily last August, and she's great about answering quickly. Can't wait to see pics of your new baby! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Reaper, thanks again for the heating info.

Nice to know there are some hedgie people close :)
Waking up bright and early tomorrow. Have to leave at 6:30am in order to reach Millermeade Farms on time at 10am to pick up my hedgie. Somewhat surreal.

I hope to have photos up on Monday :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
welcome to HHC mrock, have fun tomorrow and i hope you bring home a good little hedgie. Remember to browse the site and read the forum about what to expect in the first week.
I hope your hedgie adjusts quickly and easily, and is an absolute bundly of joy.

If you have any questions the quickest way to get an answer is to first search the forum for similar topics. If you cannot find anything, please don't be afraid to ask, as there are many experienced owners and breeders who can help you out, as they did for me.

Best wishes from the great white north!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... it was a LONG drive to get to Millermeade Farms from Columbus, and the snow didn't help But, I brought home a wonderful male hedgie from Gail He did super well in the car. He basically slept the entire way home (4 hours). He already seems pretty familiar with me, hardly ever huffs, and uncoils quickly after being picked up. He was used to pine pellet beading, but I chose to use fleece. Even though he was never potty trained, he took well. I must be lucky! He uses the pine as litter, and only pooped on the fleece once so far. I didn't want to overwhelm him with photos, but these are the one's I snuck in this morning. Gail said to wait a few days before introducing a wheel, so we'll try that out tomorrow Now - just to figure out his name...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts