Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :D So my little hedgehog Lottie is nearly two now. She has lived happily in her 3ft by 2ft plastic cage with no issues since I first had her. Her cage has two beds on the hot and cooler end, some cat toys, two tunnels, her wheel, litter tray and food/water bowls. She is kept on fleece lining, and usually comes out for about two hours a day supervised play.

However, Lottie underwent a hysterectomy around 3 weeks ago as she had uterine cancer. The vet advised me to remove her wheel for two weeks so she couldn't hurt herself running in it at night. Upon removal of the wheel, Lottie began to completely trash her cage, tip her bowls over and soak everything, every night, saying to me that she was really bored.

So, we started taking Lottie out of the cage to have a little wonder whenever we could. We completely hedgehog-proofed the two front rooms and would let her have free-run of them for as long as she wanted (until she climbed back into her blankets and cuddled up).

A week ago we put her wheel back in but still allowed her to come out as long as she wanted in the day time whilst we could supervise her. However at night, she won't settle. Whereas before she used to run in her wheel, she won't touch it now. She has put on a lot of weight post surgery and something tells me she doesn't fit in it comfortably. Now even after a week with her wheel back, every morning the fleece liners have been ripped up, her litter tray and food tipped over, and the water soaking everything in the cage with Lottie dithering in the corner. This morning I found she had been digging so hard at the corners that all her nails had started to bleed.

She's not happy in there any more, and I want to do the best I can to make her.

Obviously first things first I'm buying her a bigger wheel and hoping that will solve most of the boredom. (Can anyone recommend a bigger wheel safe for hedgies? I'm in the UK by the way). I am going to upgrade her cage to a C&C one, but realistically I only have 4ft x 2ft to put her cage in. I was wondering how I could go about making her cage a safe two stories so she had more room to explore?

Other than that we have been considering a part-open cage, so lowering it to the floor and leaving the door open so she can explore the two front rooms freely and return to bed when she wants. I don't really want to do that though as although I can't see anything that may cause a problem to her, you never know.

Other than that, how else can I make her cage more entertaining for her? I have noticed recently she likes to dig. I prefer keeping her on fleece lining as post-surgery she has a little incontinence issues and it's easy just to pull a fleece out every morning and lay a clean one down. But I was considering something like a dig box? Does anyone know how I could make one which she could get in and just dig about, and what would be a suitable material to put in for her?

Anything else I could do to keep her entertained on an evening I would really appreciate. Thanks

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I think the simplest thing to start with before worrying about the rest is the wheel. What wheel are you using and what size is it? A bigger cage is a grand idea, and I think you should go for it, but I would prioritize a wheel that she can use over everything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts