Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to all those who gave me constructive feedback when I bought my Hedgie about a month ago.While he is still terrified of everything and everyone, he often comes out of his ball and climbs around on my lap until he finds a warm place to hide. I take it this is a good sign!

He doesn't like when my hand comes near him, and once he's been out of his cage for about 5 minutes, it's impossible to approach him, even to put him back. I have always used a blanket to put him back in his cage, hopefully he will grow out of this!

My question is about treats. I know it's a good idea to feed him a treat when I take him out of his cage, but I have not found any treats that I feel comfortable giving him at pet stores.

Do you have any recommendations for types of foods I could give him, or places I can get treats for Hedgies?

Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
if you can handle them, i would try giving hedgehogs mealworms. Vex has shown considerable socialization after i have started giving him treats for his accomplishments. Now he knows my hands are mealworm dispensers and will come and sit on it when i put it on the ground, cause he knows he will get a meal worm out of it. This makes picking him up much easier now!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can also feed plain boiled chicken or turkey, and a number of fruits and veggies. If you search 'fruits and veggies' on the nutrition forum, you'll find the thread that tells which ones are safe or not safe. Most of the veggies should be cooked before feeding though, raw ones pose a choking hazard.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess I have a couple cents to throw in:

1) I have a rescued wild orphaned hedgie. Who, surprisingly enough, is now incredibly social. As in "will come snooze in bed with me & then use as a playground until he feels it's time to snack" social. But he HATES to eat in front of anybody. Thus, the whole "socialization through association with yumminess" was a bust with this fella. What worked with him was persistence. I'd take his grumbly self & put him in my hoodie or in a blankie next to me & chill out for a couple hours. No other options. He could grumble, burrow, do somersaults (he likes that), sleep, sniff...whatever...he just had to do it hanging out with the big hairless beasties. I also tried to think like a hedgie & had socks for him to crawl in & different things to snuggle through. (He hates everything cardboard, wheel-related, etc. But give him a washcloth or T-shirt & he's won the lottery!)

2) I am in a remote part of the world current so there are no pet stores. I have things mailed to me & I get along with the hedgie-safe people food I have...as my little insectivore REFUSES TO EAT & UTTERLY DESPISES all forms of insects or anything close to buggy. Bananas are definitely a favorite. So is applesauce (nothing but the fruit - no preservatives) but that might make it a little tricky. Still worth trying. Likes apples - prefers apple chips. He loooooves crunchy stuff. All night long "crunch-crunch-crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch" He's a huge fan of VitaLife Chicken Poppers ...nothing but chicken & rice...I break them into bits & he's one happy, noisy camper. He loves tuna & salmon & almost any fish...so a little bit of that might be an option. My wonky hoggie also is insane for the flax oil mix I have...he will lick that up that before ANYTHING else in his bowl when I put it in- even before the tuna! If that is something he likes, you could put a drop on plain chicken or tuna. I have a few other ideas that might be of help but I've babbled long enough :shock: - feel free to PM me for more. :)

My guy is a total weirdo (& I love him all the more for it)...so this may not help at all...but I definitely understand working with a difficult hoggie & being without easy access to the things you feel are best.

hugs
ashley & henry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks, guys! I appreciate your feedback here.

Thanks, as well for the links to the treats section. To be honest, I put a grape in his cage when I got him, because it was the only fruit I could find. He didn't touch it, so I threw it away the next day - good thing! Phew. I should really do my studying.

I'll go home and see if I can't find him a suitable treat, then I'll see if I can buy mealworms from somewhere!

Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad to hear ya'll are making progress! :D I know we've mentioned it before but Dora loves turkey and turkey gravy baby food as well as the the turkey and sweet potato flavor. She's also shy like Rivoli's hedgie and will not eat outside of her home. She has sometimes been so excited to see it though that she can't resist taking a couple of quick licks when presented. Millie loves cat treats just be careful to avoid those with BHA and BHT and ethyoxyquin

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Henry loves baked yam or sweet potatoe, mealies, banana, apple, broccoli,egg, cooked carrot, peas, corn, egg, etc. Pretty funny! He will go and crunch too, loves his crunchy food, even saves treats for later. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts