Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large metal blue wheel that Luna loved, she'd use it every night! I knew because her house is in my room, and that wheel is the squeakiest thing in the house. I dont mind though, I've always put up with it. She also pushes it and bangs it on the cage walls.
BUT! She hasn't used it in a month or more. Its clean, I've cleaned it twice to make sure there wasn't some sort of bad smelling something on it. I used some hot water and a drip of dish soap to clean it. But I've always used it and she's never had a problem with that before. I've even taken her wheel out durring kitchen play times. She wont use it at all. MIGHT walk through it once or twice to get to the other side. I've even taken meal worms and meld them a few inches from her nose in the wheel to get her to run a little bit, so maybe she'd get used to using it again. No such luck so far (and yes, I gave her the worm after a few wheel rotations, no teasing here). I know hedgies are prone to overweight tendancies, and I would feel a lot better if she got her excercise not only when I'm home having play time but while I sleep, and am away durring the day.
I've also taken multiple hedgie inspections. I check her quills, her ears and head, her tummy and her feet and legs. I look for owies, cuts or sores, and check her nails. I clip them on a reg. baises, as well as when she has a bath.
What gives? I dont understand why the wheel isn't fun any more?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Is it a solid surface wheel? If so and it's the one I'm thinking of, a bit of vasaline where it turns will quiet it right down. Does the wheel turn easily? What diameter is it? Have you changed it's location which shouldn't make a difference but who knows. :lol:

How old is she? As they age many slow up on wheeling because their joints get stiff and sore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh hey, thanks! Good idea with the vasaline, I'll do that tonight! :D
It is a solid surface wheel, and does turn evenly. No wobble or favoring weight on the wheel or its feet/stand. I think the wheel is about 10 - 12 inches in diameter. And the wheel on the inside, the part they run on is at least 4 inches across. Luna has about one inch on either side of her when she's in it.
haha one wouldnt think any furniture rearranging would make a difference, but if you didnt bring it up, and I didnt consider it - it with my luck would end up as the reason :roll:
I havent changed its spot at all, Its at the back part of the cage, the side thats to the wall. I did take it out for a couple of days, it was dirty and she needed her nails done, so she got a bath, and I cleaned the wheel once she was dry and playing in her towl. I cleaned her cage that day too. I usually do all of it in one day, I find its easier and less stressful on her. Plus she gets a whole day out rather than 1-3 hours and she seems to like it. The one thing I did change was I didnt put the wheel in the first day, we ran out of paper towl so I left it to air dry that night. The second night I forgot and then the next morning I had an 'oh, shoot!' moment and put it back in right away. And she hasn't used it since. I used the same soap as I always do, just a little squirt of dish soap and a scrubby brush. She isn't that old, this is her first christmas. I got her in early spring, so she's around 7-9 months old. I havent been this befuddled by a hedgie before, the little scallywag :lol: she's keeping me on my toes I guess

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not understand this one bit. Its been a week now and she STILL hasn't used it. :shock: I do take her out for 30 minutes - 3 hours daily but its the middle of winter and I've got a lot of appointments in the city. I'd feel so much better knowing that if I get home late one night she'd be okay as far as getting her activity goes.
haha I've been tempted to take the wheel out, put her in it and then block both sides with my hands. Ninja style "You must become one with the wheel again, young hedgehog before you can master the wheel of life...." :lol:
I've tried the treats in the wheel, to holding the meal worm an inch or so from her nose while in the wheel (which got some rotations but not results).
I gave her a bath again yesterday and theres no idication of injury, or irritation any where. I even did a close quill examination. After that I cleaned her cage, and put her in the ferret ball. Believe it or not she was a boogy bug in that thing, just rolling every where. Following me, the dog, the cat, mom. And I thought 'aha! A break through, the wheel can't be much different from the ball, she HAS to use it now!' ....yeah...not so much.

Should I just take the wheel out? I'd hate to do that. But she isn't using it, at all. No doodies on it, not even rooting around it.
I thought of taking a small spritzer bottle and adding some extraxt like almond or pepermint mixed with a little water and spraying it on the wheel in a certain spot. In my mind I see her walking by, 'hey, thats a new smell...its coming from over here!' *walks on/into wheel* *sniifs for smell* *starts to run to get to smelly* Is that plausable?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Don't give up. Some of them take quite a while to catch on. Make sure there is nothing wrong with the wheel, that it spins easily and have the running surface level or slightly back until she has figured it out. Sometimes if they slide out of the wheel it scares them and they are hesitant to try again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts